If you were lookin for a new filter, sand cartridge de?

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
If you were looking to buy a new pool filter which one would you buy? and why? sand, cartridge, de?

should be a good debate. Looking for some responses from people that have had 2 or 3 of the different kinds.

Your experience

steve

I switched to a Hayward Perflex DE filter a couple of years ago, and have never been happier, would buy again any day. Having said that, they do require a lot more attention than a sand filter by comparison, but with an indoor pool I don't get nearly as much junk in the filter as a typical outdoor pool, so can usually get away with only needing to go through the big recoat process about twice per year, and just "bumping" in between.

should be a good debate.
Over the years, it has been discussed on the forum many, many times and the answers are always the same.

Everyone on here will tell you that the type they have is the one they like. :lol:

Secondly, if any one tells you one is much better than another, it is not true.

There are a few differences but it really ends up being the one that you have the most experience with is virtually always the one you like.

smooth2222 said:
was thinking of buying a DE filter and using fiberclear or purifiber.

Which brings up a whole new ball of wax! Some folks have issues with fiberclear. I've never heard of purifiber, but assume it's the same sort of thing.

I've maintained both, I would buy sand again if given the choice... oh wait, I did have to buy a new filter and didn't switch to DE or cartridges. So much easier, and water is sparkling clear.

I think Dave's probably right, but here goes:

Former DE user, but I inherited a sand filter when I bought this house. Sand filter failed in 2009 and I replaced it with the same model, but switched to Zeosand.

I was happy with a sand filter and didn't see any advantages to switching to DE. I found a sand filter to be relatively inexpensive, I understood how it worked, and I know how to work on it (if necessary).

If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't use Zeosand. Sand is cheap and if it needs a little help, a cup of Fiber Clear added after backwashing really helps "polish" the water.

I have only had DE .. a while back reading here I was convinced I would switch to a large cartridge when this one dies (probably a long time from now). Now I am leaning more toward a sand filter {probably should have grabbed the big new Hayward sand filter from a relative's foreclosed house and put the original tiny cartridge filter back on that pool :wink: }

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.