Need a little advice guys - pictures added

Jun 1, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have a really bad green pool, 18x36. vinyl approx 100,000 litres. yes i am from canada. i do not have a good test kit for that reason. i bought some chemicals from a local place that does quality testing for free when you buy from them. my initial readings were:
saturation index -.4
cya-0
total chlorine - 5
free chlorine - 2
ph - 8.1 (not sure if they account for the chlorine in this test, as my test strips showed ph was low before starting shocking process)
TA-40
ATA- 40
cal hardness - 80

my second test was done after holding chlorine levels at 10 for 48 hours. the test took care of the CC.
sat index .1
cya-0
tc5 (low due to sunlight loss. test was done mid afternoon) i added chlorine as soon as i got home.
fc5
ph 8.2
ta 80 (i added baking soda)
ata 80
cal hardness - 80

I held FC levels at 10 for another day. I have a sand filter and it doesn't seem to be doing a great job. The pool looks like the algea is dead. the over night test held above 10 on my strip test. i know it's kinda guess work but it was a bright purple both times and i only added enough chlorine to get to 10 ppm. so seeing as how i sorta passed the overnight test and cc is less than .5ppm, the only thing left is to clear the pool. well I'm an impatient guy so i bought some flock and put it in. it's been circulated for 2 hours the the pump has been off for 3 hours now. when should i begin to see some improvement? also, i just tested the chlorine levels with a strip and it is showing 1 ppm. should I add bleach or just let it all settle for the full 24 hours before adding anything. if I do have to add bleach should i just disperse it, or should i disperse it and turn the pump and filter back on. Thanks for all the help guys I have learned so much already. the pool place has even commented on how well versed i am on the subject. i guess they won't be getting any more money from me. hehe.

added pics 3 days ago on top and today on bottom
2hqynes.jpg

rlyw3k.jpg

Re: Need a little advice guys

That doesn't count as passing the overnight FC loss test. The DPD chlorine test does not have enough precision to tell how much you lose overnight. You might be fine, you might not.

You really should add some CYA, say up to 30 for the moment. It is very difficult to shock when CYA is down near zero as you lose all of your chlorine any time it is sunny.

As soon as FC is below 5 you should lower the PH down to 7.5.

I would ignore ATA, it isn't useful for anything interesting.

Unless you want to give up on the floc you should not add anything or run the pump at all for a minimum of 12 hours. If everything does indeed settle to the bottom you need to vacuum to waste taking great care to not disturb the water any more than you have to, or create any currents with the vacuum (which could stir things back up into the water).

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Well sounds like you started following the shock process and then deviated with floc, turning the pump off, and letting FC drop.

You MUST maintain FC at shock level at all times until done shocking.

Really what you should have done is:
1. Bought the recommended test kit from Apollo: http://piscines-apollo.com/cubecart/tes ... -2006.html
2. Raised your CYA up to about 30ppm
3. Performed the shock process until passing all 3 tests ... hard to say if you REALLY passed the OCLT without a drop based kit.

It would still be advised to go through these 3 steps.

jblizzle said:
Well sounds like you started following the shock process and then deviated with floc, turning the pump off, and letting FC drop.

The reason for the deviation was because I am leaving Sunday for 2 weeks, and I'm not sure if the wife can do this while I am away with 2 small kids as well. so i wanted to get it mostly clear so she won't have such a hard job to do. if the flock doesn't work. I'll get the ph and the cya in check and have her start shocking until I get back home. 2 weeks should clear it up. but the filter sand might be pooched. we just bought this place 2 months ago and it was badly neglected. I fished out about 2 feet of leaves along the bottom as well as a dog toy lots of paper and plastic and a bath mat, oh and a pile of dead worms. I guess the chlorine killed em. I really hate the previous owners right now. Thanks for the answers guys. hopefully having the chlorine that low while the flock is doing it's thing will not set me back too much. would some pucks in the skimmer be advisable? and should I buy a skimmer sock?

Seems like we get a lot of ... "I am leaving in 2 days and need to clear the pool ASAP" posts, so you are not alone ... sorry it just does not work that way.

You should backwash the filter when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure. There is likely no need to have to replace the sand if that is what you were thinking.

Since you have 0 CYA, it would be safe to use pucks for awhile (note that each one adds CYA to your pool so you want to be sure CYA does not get too high). You can put them in the skimmer if you leave the pump on 24/7, but it is safer to put them in a floater ... although there is also a danger to your liner being bleached if the floater gets stuff next to the side.

Skimmer socks (or just panty hose) can help catch some debris, but certainly not necessary.

jblizzle said:
You should backwash the filter when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure. There is likely no need to have to replace the sand if that is what you were thinking.

when I first started clearing the bottom and stirring everything up i was backwashing every 4 hours. then it was about once every 12 hours, now it's once a day. I do it when it reaches 22 PSI. when cleaned it 13.5 PSI. Like I have said I did read the pool school and all the how to get rid of algea articles and am up to speed on proper procedures. My problem is I don't have a test kit nor do i have a lot of time or patients. something I'll have to work on i guess. Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated.

With a clean pressure of 13.5psi, you would maintain better circulation if you backwash by 17psi.

A test kit and patience are 2 very important things when shocking a pool ........

quick question or info i guess

i just did a test strip test and chlorine is registering as 0 which i expected after a sunny day but the ph is reading 6.8-7 and it always has been reading that when the chlorine was low. when chlorine was high on the test strip the ph was reading 8-8.2 which is what the same as the pool store place had. so do you think the pool store is getting it wrong and my PH is actually low. at the time of both of their tests they had a chlorine reading of 5 and ph was at 8.1 or 8.2. is that enough chlorine to throw off their ph test or should I believe them and assume it is high?

If you do use trichlor pucks while your gone, have your wife keep count of how many are used so you can calculate the expected CYA level (pool calculator can do this for you if you weigh one of the pucks and multiply that by the count used) High chlorine can cause false high readings on pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
squirreltech said:
quick question or info i guess

i just did a test strip test and chlorine is registering as 0 which i expected after a sunny day but the ph is reading 6.8-7 and it always has been reading that when the chlorine was low. when chlorine was high on the test strip the ph was reading 8-8.2 which is what the same as the pool store place had. so do you think the pool store is getting it wrong and my PH is actually low. at the time of both of their tests they had a chlorine reading of 5 and ph was at 8.1 or 8.2. is that enough chlorine to throw off their ph test or should I believe them and assume it is high?

drop based pH test are inaccurate with FC > 10ppm ... maybe the strips are even more sensitive.

Hard to really say as both strips and pool stores often seem to be wildly inaccurate.

so should i just wait to fix the ph until the pool clears?

I should mention too that what it looks like in the above pictures is a huge improvement over what it was like when we bought it. it was dark green almost black. Today is day 6 of cleaning. I'll post another pic tomorrow at noon (24 hours since floc treatment) hopefully it goes well. i fear it won't as my ph may be too high or too low.

You want to be sure the pH is in the 7s before you start shocking. Having it way high or way low can damage equipment.

That is why we usually say to adjust the pH and then start shocking and ignore the pH until you are done and the FC drops below 10 ppm.

I'd forego the floc and let the filter do it's job personally... floc means wife has to vacuum it. Filter does it on it's own. It may take longer but at least she doesn't have to mess much with the pool except to backwash the filter.

well guys the floc ran it's course but not as well as expected. i used to be able to see 1 foot down now i can see 3 feet down. i could let it run longer but i fear the algae is taking over again. I did vacuum the shallow end and got up lots of Crud, so it was sorta worth it except i started losing ground against the algae. The pool does look better than the day before. here were my number right before the vacuum:

FC 1
CC 2
PH 7.2 (which i finally believe as the TC was only 3ppm)
TA 105
CYA 0
CH 80

So i am submitting to the BBB system, and forgoing floc. I added some ph up. 1750g of it. should bring it up around 7.6. how long after adding it should I test. an hour after that i added 3 kg of CYA in 2 skimmer socks in the skimmer. how long after that can i test and see it. i have heard up to 2 days. also I believe i should shock according to the amount of stabilizer i have added correct? which would be a FC level of 12. I have not added any chlorine yet. when should i do this? it's been about 2 hours since i have added the CYA. I am going to maintain FC level of 12 until I get back home in 2 weeks. I have left a detailed set of instructions for her and my dad who will be testing and adding bleach. at that point i will do the OCLT. if you guys have some answers for the above questions or additional advice for me i would greatly appreciate it. thanks again. you guys rock!

Your pH was really OK at 7.2, but no problem a little higher.

You can test the water after about an hour of circulation. But, the CYA will take up to a week to show up on the test. So, I agree you would shock based on what your think the CYA should be based on what you added.

Get the chlorine in the pool now.
Maintain it above 12ppm as best you can.
Backwash at 20-25% pressure rise.

Should be clear before you get home.

May want to give your wife/dad the log in info to TFP in case any questions come up ... we can help.

Thanks Jason. chlorine is in. 13 liters of 10.3% liquid. should bring it slightly above 12ppm. i'll test it in an hour and top up to 12 if needed. and do so until i go to bed tonight. i leave tomorrow at noon and the CC should be gone by then. will checking twice a day be enough while I am away? I will have internet access while away so I will keep you guys updated on progress and pictures. thanks.

Remember, 12ppm is the MINIMUM ... so you should probably shoot for 15ppm or so if you are not able to test often.

I would not count on the CC being gone, they can come and go throughout the process.

At the start, we recommend testing hourly ... and based on those results, if the FC is not dropping too quickly, you can extended the time. If they will only be testing twice a day, then they really should dose a little higher so it stays above 12ppm.

So it's been 6 days now since I have been gone and the Wife has been keeping the FC levels at the correct levels. sorry I do not have test results. the filter has been running non stop, backwashing everyday if appropriate, and brushing daily and the pool doesn't look any better. is this normal? should we continue? need some help guys? I thought you are susposed to see improvement every day or so. thoughts?

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 324

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.