Can't get pool to hold Chlorine!

Jun 1, 2012
18 x 36 Oval with vinly liner. Hayward s-200 filter and Hayward 1.5 hp super pump.

FC = 1
TC = .5
PH = 7.5
ALK = 80
CH = 60 ( Not really worried since it's a vinyl liner)
CYA = 120 (I think this is my problem). :grrrr:

I opened the pool a few weeks ago and PH was good and ALK was a little low. I usually have it tested at pool store first time just for piece of mind. I have a Taylor K-6000 test kit I use the rest of the time. The funny thing is my initial test kit showed CYA of 120 and pool store said 40. I said test it again please and they got 60. I said try it one more time and they got 115 which is basically what I tested. My faith in their tests is a bit diminished.

I'm assuming I'm gonna have to do the drain, refill, drain, refill method to get the CYA down to reasonable level. One chart I saw online said with my CYA level my FC needed to be around 6-8 for a "normal level". The pool calculator said I needed 3 of the 128oz containers of bleach to get my FC up to that level. I'm done with the 3" tabs and am going to bleach only in the future. Does that much bleach seem reasonable to put in at one time?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

So I drained 1/3 water and refilled and retested CYA using the 1/2 reagent 1/2 tap water test and got around 36 so CYA is down to 70-75. Per the pool calculator my shock level is 25 so I added 9.5 128oz jugs of chlorine to try to get to shock level. I waited and hour and test and got a whopping 4 ppm of free chlorine on my test strips and my Taylor k-2006 kit. I stopped there and retested this morning and FC was back down to .5. I've definitely got something eating my chlorine and it's not the sun.

I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do now. I'm running of patience and cash :grrrr: to keep throwing at this pool. Where do I need to go next?

I was attempting to shock it with the 9 jugs of chlorine. I was expecting my water to get up to 25 and then try to hold it there and run thru the entire shock routine but it only went to 4 with the prescribed amount of chlorine per the calculator. That is what has me confused.

Started the shock program yesterday.

8 am FC=.5 raised it up to 25
11 am FC = 15 raised it back to 25
5 pm FC = 15 raised it back to 25
10 pm FC = 24 raised it back to 25 (thought I was making some headway)

8 am this morning (had torrential rains last night) FC = 14 raised it back to 25

We'll have to see how the day goes today. The local dollar general stores are tired of seeing me buying up all their 182 oz bottles of bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water lost .5 ppm from 8am until about 1pm. I'm hoping this is just the standard loss I'm gonna have everyday from the sun. I am starting to see alot of dead black algea on the bottom of the pool. I'm assuming this is a good thing? I didn't have time at lunch to vaccum but will this afternoon. Hopefully I can get it to hold overnight and slowly bring it down to my target level.

Well hopefully I have it licked. Pool lost about 2 ppm thru the day and only 1 ppm overnight. The water is as clear as it has ever been. Gotta let the FC come down a little and then get PH back in line. Got my K-2006 reagent refills yesterday and retested my CYA using the 1/2 tap water 1/2 pool water and a straight CYA test and both showed it down to around 75 (will work on this thru the summer).

I truly appreciate all the help and am a convert to the BBB method of pool maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.