Would you continue using swg if top rails are rusting?

Feb 12, 2010
Openning pool....stick with swg or without

We have had the swg hooked up for 2 years and have noticed rusting of the top rails. Should I continue with the swg or convert back to normal? Is it easy? Would the pool warranty cover replacing the top rails? 3 rails are affected.

We have used a swg for 2 years and 3 top rails are rusting. Would you stop using swg because of this? How do I fix it? Would it be covered under pool warranty? The pool is only 4 years old.

You can't stop rust once it starts, and it's doubtful switching from SWG would actually help the situation. My poles rusted significantly too after I added the salt at the end of season two with this pool. Pretty sure Intex covers nothing past the first year and the reality is that while they CAN be left up all winter, they're not intended for it.

I suppose best practice would be to take the pool down every year, sand blast or wire brush the pole ends and socket T insides and re-paint. Paint is about the only way to prevent or stall rust but it has to be re-applied to a rust free surface regularly. Painting rust never works.

On year two with a swg and so far we do have a few tiny spots that have started to rust on one piece by the stairs where we get in and out. I used a wire brush and then touched it up with matching paint. It's where the powder coat has chopped off from the pool flexing. With the ease of maintenance with a swg I would be very hard pressed to ever not use one again. All the parts that rust can be replaced for a minimal cost if they happen to rust out. Guess that's just part of own a pool and maintenance...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.