Hayward producing bubbles at return to pool

BK

Jul 2, 2008
I haven't been able to solve this problem. I'm getting lots of bubbles from the return, not a lot of suction, and the strainer box on the filter drops it's level suddenly, makes a whooshing sound, the hoses kick around and then it goes back to pumping ... albeit, with a lot of bubbles and low suction.

I had to replace the top on the filter strainer. I did this at night and put some teflon grease on the o-ring. A friend mentioned I could revisit that since I did it at night. I have, and it seems to be OK.

The hoses do not leak when I lift them to inspect, i.e., no water spray comes from the hoses.

I see no leaks anywhere on any connections.

I loosened and began to remove the head thinking the tank was full of air. Water immediately began to flood out of the tank so I figure it is full of water.

This is probably the third year on this sand.

It's a Hayward.

Anyone have any other ideas how air is getting in here? It does seem to be from the pump to the return, rather than before the pump ... but is that only because it's being pumped out and therefore visible as bubbles?

The only way to get air into the system while the pump is running is from the suction side of the pump (before the pump). More than likely there is an air leak somewhere and probably the pump basket lid. Lube the lid gasket and see if that helps. A couple of questions:

Are you seeing air in the pump basket?

When did the problem start and what occurred right before?

What is current filter pressure and what was it before this started to happen?

This started with the opening of the pool this year, two weeks ago.

There are no bubbles in the pump strainer.

The pressure gauge is all the way to the right ... like it is broken, both when running and when not running ... as well as when I had the head off and also when the pump strainer lid is off.

Do the bubbles only appear after the pump has been off for a while?

Also, there is usually a bleeder valve on the filter and when the pump is on and the valve is open, it should push all the air out of the filter. Afterwards, see if air builds up when the pump is on vs off.

Bubbles seem to be on all the time. If I stuff a finger into the return to block it .... it makes a lot of whooshing noise, drops level in the pump strainer and then seems to pump with more power for a very short time ... 10 seconds or so, then it is back to low flow and lots of bubbles.

I don't seem to have a bleeder valve on this filter. There is no real bleeder valve, or what I would call one. There is a drain at the bottom, and the little glass bottle off the side at the top. Is that a bleeder? I can't believe I'm asking that question. It halt fills with water sometimes. If I take it off and put it back on empty ... it generally stays empty. It is now empty.

There are no bubbles in the pump strainer.
So is there any air at all in the pump basket? You mentioned the pump basket being half full which means there is some air in the pump basket. Again, if you are getting air while the pump is on, it must be coming from the suction side of the pump but you should also see air in the pump basket.

Also, if you just opened the pool, have you been vacuuming a lot of stuff? Either a suction line or the impeller could be clogged not allowing for full flow rate and not able to purge all of the air out of the pump. A working PSI gauge would help with troubleshooting.

OK, here is an update.

I replaced the PSI gauge and the hose from the filter to the return.

I took the head off after reattaching all the hoses and filled the tank with water.

I got the pump basket full of water and got the lid back on it.

Turned it on and it is better, but still blowing out air.

I'm seeing about 8 lbs on the gauge until it does it's whooshing and the pump basket drops in level ... which then reads down to nearly zero.

I'm off to the store to get a new hose for the skimmer to pump and hopefully the heavy plastic to go from the pump to the filter intake.

I'll update again when I get this finished ... today if this monsoon rain gives me another break.

Check the skimmer weir door and make sure it is swinging freely. Also, look in the skimmer itself and see if there is vortex forming which can suck in air.

I still have bubbles being forced out into the pool from the return.

I get 8 to 10 on the PSI scale, until it begins that whooshing, the pump basket drops to a nearly empty level. When it drops the PSI goes to near zero.

I have replaced all of the hoses, re-greased the o-ring on the pump basket lid, replaced the broken gauge.

When I restarted after changing all the hoses I refilled the tank itself, then put the head back on. I filled the pump basket and put the lid back on it. The only air in the system at that point is in the hose running from the pump up to the tank. How could I fill that?

Can this be the source of the air? I've never had this problem before. I've had the pool and same filter/pump for six years.

Should I just accept that this is the way it is and be happy because the bubbles will raise the ph?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.