0 FC and 0 CC?

Spiccolli

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2012
Gold Canyon, AZ
So after getting my pool sparkly ;) , I wanted to help out my brother in law. his pool is larger at 23000 gal and is salt water with C generator, pebble tech, and cartridge filters.

We were there over the holiday and the pool seemed green to me (but then again i have been looking at my tfp - clean and clear). So i wanted to test it and see what i could do to help him get it sweet :cheers: . The chlorine generator is not working (thats next on the list after balancing chems).

so after testing with tf100, this is what i got:
fc: 0
cc: 0
tc: 0
ph: 7.8 (not worried since we are going to drain some)
ta: 160 (draining water)
ch: 850 (ugh - again, draining)
cya: 45

we're looking at about 60% drain to get ta and ch cut in half. i'm sure we are going to have to add some stabilizer too. My plan is to use granulated with cya to start and bring the rest of the cya up using liquid stabilizer. (smart?)

what i do not understand is the tf100 fc and cc test that i did - i added the 870 and got NO pink.
This is 0 ppm fc, right?
after that, i added 5 drops of 0003 and had NO color change.
This is 0 ppm cc, right?

so why is the water kinda green? does the fact that there is 0 fc influence the cc testing?

thanks to anyone - all you guys are great for sharing all your knowledge and help!

Spiccolli said:
My plan is to use granulated with cya to start and bring the rest of the cya up using liquid stabilizer. (smart?)
Expensive, the liquid that is.

Spiccolli said:
what i do not understand is the tf100 fc and cc test that i did - i added the 870 and got NO pink.
This is 0 ppm fc, right?
Most likely. From the extended test kit directions:
Using the small spoon shaped end of the dipper, add one heaping dipper, or two level dippers, of R-0870 and swirl to mix. If the sample turns pink for a moment and then turns clear again, or if it turns brown, add another dipper of R-0870. If the sample remains clear the entire time, your FC level is probably zero, however it is best to verify that with an OTO chlorine test, since the FAS-DPD test is prone to the occasional false zero.

Spiccolli said:
after that, i added 5 drops of 0003 and had NO color change.
This is 0 ppm cc, right?
Yes

Spiccolli said:
so why is the water kinda green? does the fact that there is 0 fc influence the cc testing?
Having no CC is not a sign of no algae...that is why there are 3 criteria in the shocking process. Also, remember CC is an intermediate breakdown product due to chlorine sanitizing the pool. No chlorine for awhile will equate to no CC, since CC will eventually be removed by sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.