15' above ground swamp full of mosquitoes. Broken pump.

Jul 22, 2011
Sometime during the end of last year, my pump stopped turning. I had 100 other things going on with everything in life, and put it off to the side. Here we are come spring, my water is black, and it's FULL of mosquitoes and water boatmen (and who knows what else). Undecided if I'm going to drain/clean/refill, or if I should try to treat what I have. I can have it refilled by hose in about one day if I decide to drain it.

First thing is to bring my pump back to the pool store and see if they will exchange it; it only lasted maybe 3 months.

P1170531.JPG

Who knew daddy-long-legs can walk on the surface of water?
P1170532.JPG

Don't know if I'm beyond the point of no return or what.
P1170533.JPG

That looks nasty to me. I'm sure you could clean it up but if it's only a day job to drain and refill, why not spend two days and do it right. Drain it, clean the pool completely while it's empty and then refill. You'd be good to swim in a couple of days instead of a week or two. Besides, I would always know the water looked like that at one time and it would stick in the back of my mind regardless of how sparkling you get it.
Just sayin'

Apparently goldfish love mosquito larvae. You could buy some $.27 feeder fish and let em eat while your pump is in the shop. hehe

If your pump was working I might suggest skimming and shocking but it might be just as simple to drain and clean. At least the larvae would die. What's that spider looking thing in the middle anyway? Ewwww!

That looks like a traditional agp line (i.e. not an intex) right? If it is, how old is the liner? Fully draining a vinyl liner pool can be risky and as a liner ages, it gets even riskier. If you do decide to try it, make sure you do not let the liner dry out. I guess I would lean towards doing the shocking process after the pump is back for the liners sake.

Other considerations are how expensive your fill water is and does it have metals or high CH.

drain the suck at sunset and through the night..then start filling the next day..that way you'll have minimal sun/drying, heating exposure to your liner. rent or borrow a trash pump..you could have that pool drained in less than 2 hours.

Opted to find out what was causing the low pump flow (small twig in the impeller), pumping fine now. Pulled what I could off the top of the pool. Dumped 4 gallons of shock in there, let it circulate w/o the filter overnight just to get the water going (and we had a massive storm and it was babysitter night). Threw the filter in today. It's already looking 100x better. All the mosquitoes are dead. Need to let it clear up a bit so I can see the bottom (hopefully), then start scooping up anything I can see down there. I don't want to press anything through the liner. After that then I can vacuum and scrub the walls a few times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now being that it was full of mosquitoes etc., is there any viral concern or anything else I need to be aware of? Or just let the pump run, vacuum it out, and then take the water in for a sample reading? (I bought a kit last year but would prefer professional help getting it started).

run the pump, continuously, sweep down your walls, vacuum to waste, and use your leaf rake for the big junk. Keep your chlorine up at shock level, and it'll kill everything off...so you won't have to worry about anything viral, or bacterial.

It's looking much better already..just keep at it, and DON'T STOP!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.