Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: results with new test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

results with new test kit

we got our new test kit (TF-100) and this is our first time testing. We are new pool owners and are trying to learn the ropes. this is what hubby and I got for numbers.

FC .5
    CC .5
    TC 1
    pH 7.8
    T/A 150
    CH 70
    CYA 20??? (the black dot never went away)???
    temp 55
    BR 1

thanks for any info and help. We are so exicted to be official pool people we actually had a blast trying to vacumn the pool today for the first time

Chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

2. Back To Top    #2

oh' great...how did that post twice...sorry!!!
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    pool skim (love it)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa
    oh' great...how did that post twice...sorry!!!
    No problem, I deleted the double post.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Hi, Chrisa,

First, how does your water look? If it looks pretty good (and your test results indicate it does), then I would suggest the following.....

Get some more chlorine in there try to keep it around 2-4ppm for now. It's a consumable item and you'll need to keep adding it.

YOur water's cold enough for now that you won't have too much of a problem with algae but you want to keep FC in their all the time.

Again assuming the water looks nice, get some CYA in your pool. I'd suggest using JasonLion's calculator to get your CYA to 40ppm

Post the size of your pool (gallons) and your filter type, etcx. in your sig....it'll help us all give the best answers to your questions.

There's more but I like to go slow and accomplish just a couple of tasks at a time.

Post back your pool size, etc. and any questions you might have on the FC and CYA addition and the condition of your water and we'll go from there.

Overall, those are pretty decent test results for opening up.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

great thanks...yes the water looks pretty good.
    so per the pool calculator I'm looking at adding 218 oz of bleach to get it up to 4 (sound right?)

the pool is approx 30000-35000gals 20x40 rectangle...and we just had a new Hayward 244T sand filter installed....now can I go ahead and use some pucks since the CYA needs to come up?
    so if you can still see the black dot (cya test) the result is 20 right???

chris
    pool skim (love it)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa
    great thanks...yes the water looks pretty good.
    so per the pool calculator I'm looking at adding 218 oz of bleach to get it up to 4 (sound right?) Yeah, that sounds pretty close.

the pool is approx 30000-35000gals 20x40 rectangle...and we just had a new Hayward 244T sand filter installed....now can I go ahead and use some pucks since the CYA needs to come up? Absolutely! That'll be the perfect application for them with these caveats.....

1. Don't expect them to add very much CYA to make a significant difference. It's conceivable you could use them all summer and not get up to 40ppm....still no problem if that's what you want to do.

2. Pucks are VERY acidic so don't let your pH slip below 7.2 or so. Check it pretty frequently if you use the pucks

chris
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    also disregard the bromine reading. You are just testing chlorine so use that scale.

8. Back To Top    #8

okay, sounds good!
    thank you so much!!!

chris
    pool skim (love it)