Best time to run pump?

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
I was wondering if there was any consensus as to the best time to run the pool pump, since it only runs roughly 8 - 10 hours a day, give or take. Seems to me that night would be best, at least when you add chlorine to the pool, since that is best done after the sun drops low, and you'd want to run the pump to disperse the chlorine. Am I correct? Or doesn't it matter? :?:

I would think when the sun is out. UV destroys the Cl in the top layer so you need to keep it circulating during prime algae growing hours. Add chlorine late in the day and run the pump for an hour to mix it up.

We run ours from 8 am to 11pm and auto add chlorine in the morning and early evening. But we are thinking about only adding it in the evening.

Many posts on this recently ... try the search button.

General consensus ... there is not one. Pros/Cons for day/night. May lean a little toward day. Having multiple short runs over 24 hours may be better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.