Spring Scale & VERY Cloudy Water

May 31, 2012
OMG glad to stumble upon your site. Am, well USED to be, a "pool store" revenue stream. Anyway when I bought my house (with pool) in 2005 I had them do the spring opening and show me the ropes. Am the semi-nerdy type with chem/biology etc education so caught on quickly and albeit with some frustration now and then have been successful.

Every season passed with ease until last spring (2011) and again this spring. Unlike ever before, these last two season openers came with gritty scale (yellowish cream tannish color) all over the pool ... and persistent stubborn VERY cloudy water. It's been one month since I "opened" the pool, balanced the water, and began shocking. Items 1 & 2 have been met, but #3 (cloudy water) has not so FC is still at shock level. Have, like last year, used Pro-Teams' Dry Clarifier and a liquid clarifier. Filter requires bask washing every few days so stuff is being filtered, but the cloudiness does not / has not changed much. Have been filtering 24/7 all month.

1) Regular scrubbing etc helps with the scale and it's no doubt being reabsorbed as well. Nothing has changed in my pool husbandry so my question here is why all of a sudden has the scale been an issue when it never was before???

2) Also, why would excessive and very persistent stubborn cloudiness be an issue???

3) Have come to learn the nature2 express might be part of the problem (although it's been used since 2005 as well). Thoughts there???

WHAT DO I DO??? It does not keep me out of the water, but I don't want friends over and what fun is that???

Specs:
18x36 Inground - Vinyl
Hayward S200 high rate sand filter (new sand last summer)
Hayward self-priming super pump (1 HP)
Rainbow automatic chlorine feeder
Nature2 Express
Polaris 380 with booster pump
FC - 10+
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 120
CA - 70

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BJ in Georgia said:
duraleigh said:
Clarify one of your tests...is that CA supposed to be Calcium Hardness or CYA? Whichever one it is, what is the other one that's missing?

Sorry, my bad, CA is not calcium hardness ... should have been CYA (cyanuric acid).
Don't have a number for CA, but pool store testing reported "good/normal" for that (and phosphates too).

mpacheco72 said:
My pool started out this way. Very cloudy water and a hard gritty like substance on the bottom and walls. Somehow it's back to it's regular self. Not sure if it was the scrubbing or what, but that gritty is gone.

The scale issue is getting better, but what did you do for the cloudiness ... and how long did it take you too see the bottom drain??? Did you leave FC at shock level throughout??? What pump/filter time/schedule did you follow???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.