Looking for cause of copper readings

May 29, 2012
My pool has in the last few years started to give me regular copper and iron readings. I have no heater and do not use well water. I have noticed some rusting around the screws that hold the skimmer plate on. Is there a chance that copper screws could be putting copper in the water? I also do not use algacide.

Since you are not using well water where does it come from?

If it is city or county water that could very well be your source.

If the water comes out of the tap, (city or county water), take a sample to a local pool, or water treatment store and have it tested, also, you can go to the city or county if that is your water source and they are required to provide you with a full and complete list of everything they use in their water treatment.

If you are having water hauled in ask the hauler for where the water is comng from and go there for water treatment chemicals.

Good Luck

No, about 5 years ago I started seeing staining on lining walls and started using vitamin c to get rid of it. But that just added to the roller coaster of keeping ph and chlorine in check. Stopped using algacide maybe 3 years ago. I also tried not to schock immediately after adding new water although this year I schocked within minutes of adding water. Last year and the year before I tried to schock 3-4 days after any new water added. Could the fact that I added water when I schocked be a major contributor?