Non pool store solution for raising TA

Apr 28, 2012
Topics Merged. Please don't double post. Bama

I am asking for a friend who is registering in order to submit ??s. The first submission must be reviewed before being posted so I'm asking her first question. She has a 20x48 Intex Ultra with SWG. We just learned that her high ph and the calcium buildup on SWG cell maybe related to low TA. Is there a "natural"(cheap) way to adjust TA?

Re: Non-pool store solution to raise TA

yes, read pool school in the upper right corner of any page here, it will answer your questions and a lot more

(hint the answer is baking soda), but read pool school anyway

Re: Non-pool store solution to raise TA

If the TA is low, then it's unlikely that the buildup is calcium carbonate. Raising the TA would likely only make the problem worse if it's truly calcium carbonate scale. You should get a good test kit (the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006) and report a full set of numbers.

High pH and calcium scaling isn't caused by low TA. In order for us to her we need to know the test results.

High pH and high calcium will cause the buildup in the cell.

Raising the TA will cause the pH to rise faster and therefore exacerbate the problem she's having.

Post a set of test results and we can help more.

Ok, thanks. We went on last night looking for ways to soften her hard well water that we thought was causing extreme calcium buildup on the cell. Using the "search" we ended up reading thread about someone with SWG who is deliberately increasing CH. Misunderstood what what he was being told about TA. Yes, thinking through the acid/base balance, makes sense it would need lowered. She hasn't tested TA, but now that she is aware of its importance she will be getting the test strips recommended. She was meticulous about trying to keep ph within range, dumping tons of acid. Shouldn't all that acid have decreased TA? She has been thinking the hard well water was causing buildup, but could just decreasing TA solve her problem? Is it true that the only way to decrease CH is to keep draining off water? One of the reasons she went with SWG was thinking the salt would help soften her water.

My bad???? Kit not strips! Learning a lot(being deprogramed) fast. Agreed...need to go to pool school and will after I get this stupid clay leveled and give my teenagers any hope of swimming in our back yard this season. As it stands right now, after last nights storms, they could host a giant mud wrestling tournament. Actually that wouldn't work with all the gravel in the mud/clay/gravel pit. EXTREME muscle soreness and drastic temp drop here in KC, I can't bring myself to step out into the war zone that was my backyard. Im going to get off the computer and try to do some much neglected housekeeping.

Midwest Intex,

Hey long distance neighbor, :wave:

We live about an hour south of St. Louis, so I know full well what kind of ground you are having to deal with, fun huh?

We have gotten rain here for the past 2 mornings, though nothing too heavy yet, still hasn't even settled the dust, just enough to delay starting the work day, uggggggggs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.