Mustard Algae?

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
Is it possible to have MA and still pass the OCLT? I'm trying to determine if we have MA. I can't get a picture of it for you guys. It's just a little that appears to grow on the side of the step in our spa. It's a very light yellow - it does look similar to pollen in my opinion. I brushed it this morning and it didn't "poof" or whatever I read MA does when you brush it but it did go away. It's just a small coating, not clumpy or anything. We passed the OCLT the other day and our pool holds FC very well. I don't have current test #s for you but will post those in the next 20 or so minutes (had to turn pool on first).

I've been through pool school and have been doing the chemical maintenance on our pool. My husband has not. I don't want to say he's not "educated" on the pool stuff -- okay, I will. He's not. :lol: At least not like I am. He says it's mustard algae...I don't really think it is based on the pictures I've seen.

Mainly wondering about passing the OCLT question. Also...I've read a lot about DE and am very curious about the benefits for our sand filter. I live in SC. I don't know where to buy it. Any thoughts on that?

Test results for today:

FC: 8.5 (Finished shock process on Monday so still coming down - was 11.5 yesterday morning)
CC: 0
pH: 8
TA: 90
CH: 220
CYA: 45 (down from 50 after heavy rains Tuesday and backwashing to get water level down)

I'm going to work on my pH right now. I see that's a problem. Seems to me everything else looks great.

DE can be found at hardware and pool stores. It sounds more like pollen than algae at this point. If you can swipe some of it with your finger, it will have a dusty feel, algae will have a slimy feel. You could put a skimmer sock on the skimmer and see if you can collect it that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.