OCLT Question(s)

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
i have had good results so far this season and just to make sure everything was ok i did the oclt test last night

my result at 730 pm last night was FC of 2.5 and this morning at 530 was 2.0 so i only dropped .5 so i believe i passed the test .... my water is sparkling clear as well

one question is if the only things that reduce FC are sunlight and living organisms why did the results drop by .5 ... testing variations??

second question is does it make sense to leave the solar cover on during the day, or part of the day, to reduce FC consumption? .... i have read that it is good to have the cover off during the day but would there be a happy medium??

one question is if the only things that reduce FC are sunlight and living organisms why did the results drop by .5
Organics are constantly being introduced into you pool. Even with a solar cover, enough "stuff" can find it's way into your pool to consume SOME chlorine. Remember, though, you are measuring tiny, tiny percentages @ .5ppm (Thank you FAS/DPD test, for being SO accurate) so you are not losing much.

Yes, not having the pump on could possibly have you drawing a sample from a portionof your water that was not well blended but you passed the test anyway. ALWAYS treat .5ppm loss of FC just as if it were zero.....it's hard to get much better than that.

Leaving your solar cover on during the day will retain FC.....no doubt about it.

Remove the cover probably every three days or so.....sunlight is good for your pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.