the numbers are in...

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
Just double checking myself to make sure I will be adding the right stuff tomorrow. The water is clean and clear. But the calculator says I need to tweak some things. Here are my current numbers.

FC 2 (will add bleach to get this to 4 tomorrow)
CC 0
TC 2
pH 7.9ish
TA 180 (will add 136 oz muriatic acid to lower pH to 7.2, then aerate to bring pH back up) SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS PART IS CORRECT AS I AM UNCERTAIN
CYA 39ish

My pH has risen steadily since we put in the slide and deck jets. Also, we have been averaging 8+ kids in the pool everyday. Has all this natural aeration made the pH rise. Thoughts?

three hours ago, I added 164 ounces of muriatic acid. I retested and these are the new numbers

pH in-between the two bottom colors
TA 160

How long should it take for the TA to lower to 100?
Is there something else I should be doing, or do I just wait?
When should I retest?
Can the kids swim for a bit?
Will they turn into yucky sea creatures if they do swim?

They are all waiting on the deck in their mermaid suits!

If your have SOME chlorine in the pool and the water is clear, go SWIMMING!!

You can typically swim within an hour of adding muriatic.

Now, back to your TA. It won't lower any further until you perform the process described in pool school. Essentially, the next step is aeration so the kids should provide that. At the end of their swim session, I expect your pH to have risen back up but the TA will remain unchanged. It will lower the next time you add acid....then put the kids back in and have them splash around to get the pH back up.

Read the article in Pool School.

8corneflakes said:
Now I understand that it is a process. thanks!
If you want to speed it up, play around a little with some PVC pipe and make something like this
file.php

I imagine the kids will be able to develop some sort of game involving a fountain or water jet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.