patio furniture

uwimage

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2007
Richardson, TX
WOW! What's the deal with patio furniture pricing? We went looking for some 'nice' stuff this weekend...I almost fell off the couch I liked when I found out the price!

So, my question to all you TPFers, where do you all shop for patio furniture? I kno wit's a big investment in the back yard but when you added up all the parts for the 1 couch we liked it was almost $10,000, that's a little crazy if you ask me...Oh, and we have a great table/chair set, it's the outdoor living room stuff, when we first bought the house we went with the cheap stuff from Garden Ridge, now we'd just like something a little nicer...

Thanks for your thoughts!

I wait until the end of the summer to buy new patio furniture. Last year I bought top end Home Depot (yes, as top end as they get :)) at 75% off online. It was late August or Early September. I just kept an eye on their web site every few days knowing a good sale would show up eventually.

mixsig said:
I wait until the end of the summer to buy new patio furniture. Last year I bought top end Home Depot (yes, as top end as they get :)) at 75% off online. It was late August or Early September. I just kept an eye on their web site every few days knowing a good sale would show up eventually.

Same for us, but we went to Sam's Club. Everybody slashes prices at the end of the season.

Great idea! I've even done it before but we've been so excited about a little extra money and seeing how we could spend it I completely forgot about the end of season stuff.

I'll be tucking that extra money away for a few months, we can live with what we've got for now :D

There's some really pretty outdoor furniture nowadays. I just love how some of it looks like indoor furniture.

Wal*mart & Sears have been our staples, as opposed to the outdoor furniture specialty shops. Less variety but tend to be more cost effective.

Also - we have Ocean State Job Lots out here and there's some really great deals there. We just got 2 new Adirondack chairs - wooden that fold up and have fold out foot rests - for $40 each!

uwimage said:
WOW! What's the deal with patio furniture pricing? We went looking for some 'nice' stuff this weekend...I almost fell off the couch I liked when I found out the price!!

Yep, sharing in your shock here :? Especially my husband. I tend to be more realistic and he still thinks there's 70's pricing out there. I had my eye on some nice stuff but when I added it all up it was over $15 grand. I told him we've spent so much more already than anticipated, let's get something inexpensive now and next year we can start getting what we really want. I did splurge on my sun loungers, though. But even those were a considerable savings compared to what I looked at. Got them from Frontgate. I'm a big believer in online sales in general, but especially with regard to patio furniture. You can save money as opposed to buying local (they jack the price, put it on sale and tell you what a great deal you're getting :roll: )

I got a nice dining set and patio seating from HD online.

well...we broke down and got a nice outdoor living room set from Costco, HUGE box, 2 hours putting it together, same quality as something 2k more! + it had all sunbrella fabrics, easy off to wash, etc...

I know we should have waited but the stuff we had looked so bad when you saw everything else.

I'll post pictures later, I'm very happy!

(it's a 3 seat couch, large table, two chairs with ottomans and all the cushions were included, around 1200 with tax! Very happy!)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The Costco stuff is very good. We have some chaises and chairs from them and we love them.

We have also bought outdoor "occasional" furniture from Target. Checkout their online selection. It is much better than in the stores and they often have free shipping specials.

You can save some money if you plan ahead and keep watching for deals. We've been gathering patio furniture for quite some time. My wife lucked out at a Goodwill store one day and bought six VERY nice aluminum chairs, complete with pads in excellent condition, for $6 each. We later bought a nice table that is almost a perfect match in color and texture at an end-of-season closeout sale at Lowes for 40 or 50% off.

We also have a nice plastic wicker style set that had been $400 at Walmart, you guessed it, end-of-season, for $200. Then there are 6 more nice chairs with pads that I stumbled across for free on Craigslist. We now have plenty of outdoor seating! 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with others, buy retail stuff off-season. We furnished our entire backyard with Crate & Barrel outdoor furniture bought last fall and over the winter - exceptional prices when you do it that way.

Of course, the really high-end stuff is always expensive - we have some chairs and a sofa on our screen porch that were "to the trade" only and the prices were shockingly high.

Vegasmom said:
Got them from Frontgate.

That is the problem right there!!! Their stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!! It is nice stuff though. If you can afford it great. I can't. I found their same free standing awning a 6-7 years ago for 1/4 of their price online. I just wish they hadn't discontinued it. The company shutdown the production and got rid of all the stock 2-3 years ago. :(

Yep, it is. But I look at it this way. The cliche' "You get what you pay for" holds true in most cases. If you add up what the seasonal stuff costs over 10-15yrs., you've got your high end furniture that will last that long. That's not to say you can't shop for a good deal and find quality furniture at a more reasonable price, you can. Unfortunately, most of the contemporary stuff that goes with my design is priced higher and isn't as readily available at a lesser cost as say, something Tuscan or Traditional in style.

Also the nice thing about some of the furniture lines, for ex. Brown Jordan...they've been around for 60 years or so and several of the lines have stood the test of time all those years. Their Quantum has been made for 25 yrs. so if you like that line, you can feel secure buying several pieces one year, and adding to it in the future. You don't necessarily have to break the bank all at once. They won't discontinue them. :wink:

I'll stick with the seasonal. Even if outdoor furniture lasted for 15 years, which I question, there is zero chance that my wife would be happy with it that long. :lol:

I can outfit the whole backyard for around $500 and won't feel like I"m breaking the bank when she wants to replace it a few years later.

We have high end stuff and half price stuff.

At the pool is the high end stuff, Woodard, bought through a to-the-trade-only design center maybe 18 years ago. It has not rusted yet. The chairs were over $300 each way back then, IIRC, and it looks like you can get the same stuff for a lot less now. They are the black wrought iron, actually hand-made. I have to say it has been worth the money invested. I'll admit I have not cared for the set as I was supposed to, I spray waxed it a few times in the first few years, then not for a decade probably. It may be time to do that again. This stuff may last forever.

I have cushions that I got from Lowes for the chairs last year, they faded and I just recovered them myself.

We got cheap on the chaise and found one that looked similar in a black wrought iron at Lowes for $150... it had to be treated and repainted after less than 12 months. No so good. Looks OK now, but I have my doubts. Might have been wiser to spend 4 or 5 times as much and get the real thing. I have to flip the cushion up to keep the moisture off the base of the chaise, but it rusted anyhow.

I got a full sofa set at JCPenny last year for a bargain price. Discontinued now. Very interesting, powder coated bamboo shaped aluminum that is then hand painted to look like natural bamboo. Very pretty backs to the chairs, a Chesterfield lattice design. I've already managed to rip one of the cushions but I can recover that, maybe next year. We left it out all year round and so it got some mildew on it and I was too rough in scrubbing it. Bad idea to toss it in the pool, the sofa cushion was so heavy when wet I ripped it on the edge of the pool. That whole set, full size sofa and love seat and coffee table and side table, was a bargain, can't quite recall but 4 pc sofa set was maybe $600 and extra chairs were maybe $400 for 4. That is in a separate area, visible from the house but not the pool. A nice spot for afternoon cocktails, not pool side.

The screen porch has some close out furniture that I got on deep sale from Target when they were clearing out the Smith & Hawkins furniture. Pretty pricey but a deal at half off. Almost missed that one, as we had to visit several stores to get the two swivel rockers and ottomans. I love those chairs. I'd seen them online, but was wary of the comfort. They are very comfortable and that is vital on that porch. The table there came from Pier I.

Oh, we also have a cafe table set from Pier I. It was on sale at the end of the year. I am not really happy with the color, wanted green top but got blue. It is not the blue like the pool. And the paint is starting to chip and rust. That will be a bear to deal with. A bad purchase.

We have some pretty nice stuff we bought at Chair King 7 years ago. Since it's outside in the elements year-round, it had seen better days. I was :shock: when I started to look at replacement cost! We opted to have our existing furniture refurbished instead. It's being taken apart, having a new finish baked on, and all new fabric. It was about 1/3 the cost of replacement! :-D I can't wait to see what it looks like when we get it back!

Look at Hanamint. I bought mine from my local shop but there are places that sell it online. It comes in many different styles and colors and has a 10 year warranty. I have had my original Newport by Hanamint for 6 years and it still looks brand new. I do like Costco and BJ's for their furniture selection but I can't speak for the quality because I have never purchased it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.