Return jet issues

Spiccolli

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2012
Gold Canyon, AZ
So i have 2 return jets in my pool. They are original to the pool (20 years), the eyeball is gone, and they are quite deteriorated (most likely due to lack of pool water care over the years but is fixed now because of me and tfp). If you touch them, plastic dust and chunks come off.

So i went to remove them to replace them, but they do not have a ring that can be turned! I am unable to turn them no matter what i do. They also do not have any indentations in them for using a ruler or other removal tool.

Is it normal (20 years ago if you will) to glue returns in place?
Any suggestions how to get them out?
How do i know what jet/eyeball size should i buy?
If they are threaded, is there a standard for the thread sizing?

It looks like 1.5" pipe - is that a standard?

Thanks very much to anyone with any help on this!

There are a couple of different kinds of return fittings. If you see what is essentially the end of a PVC pipe then it is probably designed for a friction fit connection. If there are threads on the inside of the pipe then it is probably a standard 1.5" return fitting that a standard eyeball fitting will screw into. If you have threads on the outside and it sticks a little way into the pool, try turning it with a strap wrench, it should come out and leave you with inside threads.

Good info Jason - you were right on as usual.

So they were friction fittings - and they were extremely difficult to get out - look like a dog has been chewing them for a couple days after me and my tools got to them. Glad to say that the pipe and surrounding plaster is fine :)

So now I need to find replacements. From what I can tell, they went into the wall about 1.5 inches, have on OD of 1.5 inches, and the "stem" that goes into the pipe in the wall is bulged.

I'm sure the bulging is to create a tight fit.

So now I need to shop for replacements.

What are the good ones? Hayward?
What diameter eyeball should I get? I have no idea what they used to be!

Thanks for the help!! (again)

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

55-110-3410_xl.jpg

http://www.usapoolpros.com/pentair-pool-products-542002.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.