Getting Started Shopping List

May 30, 2012
Boyd, Texas
Should have the pool in the next 1-2 weeks and I am trying to get a list of what I am going to need to get it all started so I don't have to drive ~30 miles back to the store to get a chemical.

I am going to be using a SWG so I know I will need salt (160lbs) for my size pool. I was wondering if I should just let the SWG do its thing to get the chlorine started, or should I buy some chlorine to add at first until SWG gets up and going sort of speak?

As far as the stabilizer goes should I just set pool calculator to 0 and buy the amount it says? Same with the borate?

Seeing that borax raises PH (if i'm understanding this correctly) should I go ahead and get muriatic acid?

Sorry if this has been discussed thousands of times, I tried doing a search and couldn't quite figure out what I am looking for.

Use bleach to get your chlorine up to 4ppm. Don't let the SWG get it going. Also, get some extra for keeping it there until the SWG kicks in.

Fresh water won't have any borate or stabilizer. Shoot for 60 on the stabilizer then see where you are, and add as needed to get it between 70 and 80.

You can either add borax and MA, or you can add boric acid as a one-item addition. You are going to need MA anyway, since your SWG is going to keep driving up your pH. Don't buy the "Safer" acid.

The only things I would buy right now is a few jugs of bleach, the salt, enough CYA to get to the target and of course a good test kit if you don't have one.
It's good to use the pool calculator to figure out how much you're going to need.

Once you have the test kit run a full set of tests except for the CYA test. Then you'll know about what you're going to need. I'd go ahead and test the salt in the fill water too.

Don't have a test kit yet but after reading this site for awhile I've decided its going to be on the top of my "must purchase" list. So should I hold off on buying the borax and MA until after I have done a full chem test? Hoping fill water isn't going to be terrible, it will be filled with well water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.