Sun and shocking

Part 1:
A little background first... Pool started clouding up Thursday. Had 4 swimmers Thursday evening. Left early Friday morning to go RVing. Came home late yesterday, pool still a bit cloudy with a hint of green. Algae is starting! Time to shock. Went to Wally World and loaded up on bleach. Am I fighting a losing battle trying to compete with the sun? I know I need to shock, but should I wait til this evening and hit it hard while the sun is down? Am I wasting bleach starting during full sun?

Part 2:
We just recently purchased a RV. We're both teachers so we'll be getting away quite often. What is the best way to handle the pool while we're gone? Up FC before we leave? Use floaters/pucks while gone?

THANKS!!!

What is your CYA level? If it is over 30ppm, that should help protect the FC from the sun while shocking. Starting in the evening is fine, but you need to maintain the FC over the shock level 24/7.

If you are only going to be gone for a few days, bumping the FC up to shock level just before you leave may be enough. As the trips get longer, you may need to supplement the shock level with pucks in a floater ... understanding that they will increase your CYA.

Can you post a full set of test results. Most importantly, what is your CYA?

In short, the chlorine will be used faster in full sun, BUT shocking is typically a multi-day process anyways..so you might as well get started.

When you are gone, there are a few options. How long are you trips? Pucks are okay..but will add CYA (and you don't want this to get too high). A SWCG would work too, but that is somewhat expensive. Another option is having a neighbor or friend to visit semi-regularly and put in small amounts of bleach. I am not sure what your pools FC consumption is like, so I don't know exactly what that dose would be. Ideally, the water would get tested for FC, and adjusted appropriately. This may not be an option if you are having a neighbor/friend maintain the pool.

You are correct that as FC get > than 10ppm, the pH test tends to read a little high. But you are close to 10ppm and are pretty high so the pH could use to go down a bit. You could let the FC drift below 10ppm and check pH again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is coming along fine.. maintaining shock level is right on. While I'm waiting for my next check I started wondering about my pH to TA ratios. I know I lowered pH before the swimmers got in the other day. I know splashing and such raises pH but here's the thing... no one was splashing. The swimmers were mid 30 women floating on noodles. Not much excitement going on, just chating as women do. Yesterday when FC dropped to 10 I retested pH before bumping back up to shock level. pH was still at 8.0. I fight the pH battle regularly. Is this normal? Will raising my TA help with maintaining a steady pH level? TA is currently at 70.
Thanks!

Oh ... ok. Shows as mustard shock level on poolcalculator online.

Well, 20ppm may be a little high although may be fine for a 1 time occurrence. The biggest danger is fading your liner, although not probable for a single short high FC level.

I am not sure what is a "safe" level honestly.

We're almost there...
DSCN0578.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

DSCN0576.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.