FC never stays and CYA is 0...HELP!

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
So, I got the K-2006 Test Kit and I've got the hang of it except for the CYA test....

1. The solution is never cloudy so it seems like I am wasting my drops. I;ve added an entire container of CYA to the pool last week so I don't know why it isn;t showing up. I even added it in a sock in the the basket as suggested.

2. The chlorine always falls....probably because my CYA is low. I keep adding bleach but it falls 2 days later to 0. Is this normal?

Here are my test results.
Chlorine - 0
ph - 7.4
TA-90
CYA-not even cloudy

When I plug into Pool Calculator is suggests adding more bleach but I was curious if this is the way its going to be or if something is amiss? Thanks!

First, what does the pool look like? Do you need to shock?

How much CYA did you add? What was the concentration?

How much bleach are you adding? Chlorine is consumable and with low CYA, the sun is burning it off quickly. You should be adding bleach everyday ... even if you did have the correct CYA level.

What are you other levels for completeness? CH, TA, FC and CC? Are you using the FAS-DPD chlorine test (the one with the powder)?

How much is an entire container? A one pound bottle? Four pounds? A 5 gallon plastic bucket full?

The Pool Calculator indicates that you'll need about 10 lbs of 100% CYA to get it up to 50 ppm.

Chlorine gets used up every day, even if no one uses the pool. My water is perfectly balanced and crystal clear, and I still need to add about a quart of 12.5% every day.

I added the whole 4 lbs of this http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 12302.html
over the course of 2 days in a sock in the skimmer basket. I waited a week and still nothing.

Where does everyone else get their CYA?

Also, pool is very clear. I just added the 363 ounces of Chlorine it said to add. But is this futile if I do not ensure my CYA is up?

Is there a faster way to get CYA up? I know pool school says it takes a week to register reading for powder form. Is liquid better for my situation?

Where does everyone get their CYA?

mrswhitsie said:
I added the whole 4 lbs of this http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 12302.html
over the course of 2 days in a sock in the skimmer basket. I waited a week and still nothing.

Where does everyone else get their CYA?

Also, pool is very clear. I just added the 363 ounces of Chlorine it said to add. But is this futile if I do not ensure my CYA is up?

Is there a faster way to get CYA up? I know pool school says it takes a week to register reading for powder form. Is liquid better for my situation?

Where does everyone get their CYA?
It's the right stuff, just not enough of it. You maybe brought it up to 20, which is still too low to register on the tester. It's better than none, but you'll need some more. Leslies is a fine source, although you might find it cheaper at Walmart or Lowes. And there's the added advantage that nobody at those stores will be trying to sell you something else, nor will there be much to tempt you on the counter. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.