New from Mississippi

May 29, 2012
My uncle turned me onto this site as he uses the methods from here to maintain his pool. I do not have a pool "yet", but am more so lurking around the site reading up on various threads to learn. I do not know the exact size I want, but do not want a extremly large/deep pool. More than likely it will be like my uncles which has a beach entrance, a slide, and probably a waterfall.

Things my uncle mentioned he would do different mainly is in regards to his slide. His slide and waterfall are connected...both are made out of concrete. He stated if he could do it over he would have a plastic slide separate from the waterfall that flows into the pool...just like that do at large water parks, disney, aquatica, etc. Something about the slide being a waterfall in itself since it doesnt meet directly with the pool raises the PH like crazy? I'll try and get pictures of his pool(lagoon style), but like I stated it is the size I'd like to have. Its not too large and is around 6ft deep in the deepest part(where slide goes too).

I have a friend who builds houses for a living and built mine. I mention this because he said he had no problem helping me out with digging the hole for whatever I want...just have to pay for his gas on the equipment. :whoot: I havent specifically asked him about this, but dont think he knows any reputable pool builders. I only could assume that if I purchased some pool plans that he could follow them no problem, but is this a good idea? He does design his own homes, but not sure how different building a pool would be? I guess what I am asking is should I try an find a pool builder to work along with him or is their a reputable place online that I can buy designs from that he could follow, etc?

I kind of depends on the type of pool you are going to do. There are companies (like Build Your Own Pool ... I know nothing about them FYI) that help you be the general contractor where you hire the excavator, the rebar/gunite company, the plumber, the electrician, the plasterer, etc by taking bids and hiring them separately ... this is basically what most Pool Companies to anyway.

Gunite/plaster pools do not have a lot of DIY steps, but I think other types of pools, in-ground liner could be done by a DIYer

Sounds like you friend could help with the excavation and maybe knows plumbers/electricians, but may not have good leads for gunite and plaster which are kind of specialized.

I'm going to talk with my friend and see what he says. Here is a picture of my uncles pool. I love his pool, but would do as he suggested in removing slide from its location and making waterfall bigger. Then placing a slide in off to the sidethat is plastic and goes into the water rather than sitting up like his.

Attachments

• pool picture.jpg
    pool picture.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 67
Welcome to tfp, vschaos :wave: Building a pool is pretty detailed construction. Poke around on here (us the google search at the lower left of page) and look at some of the diy builds. It may help answer if you want to take on building a pool with that person...I am assuming you would be the pool installer general contractor.