planning the install of 12x24x52 intex pool

May 30, 2012
Hi everyone,
I am bleary eyed trying to plan our project--thuoght I'd ask you experts.
I currently plan to install the 12x24 ultra frame pool in the side yard where I currently have 14x35 grassy area--mostly even.
I think I need to do the following:
-use sod cutter to remove grass 14x26
-build a wooden frame using 2x12x12' boards leaving 12x24 open on inside
-fill inside with 1.75 inches mason sand, stamp down, tarp over that
-add .25 styrofaom board, which brings you even to top of frame, tarp over all
-assemble pool, feet extend on the 2x12's

My questions:
do I have to remove the sod, or can I cut it very low, place tarp over and add sand?
should I use the 2x12x12 frame or should I make it slightly larger out of 2x4's on the long edge, and put pavers inside for each of the feet to rest on?
do I have to use sand and foam, or once the sod is out, can I just use foam and bury the pavers?
the pool comes with the sand filter, do I need to upgrade to the salt water system, or should I use the BBB method?

I used to have an 18' easy set in this space, when we got rid of it we planted grass--so the area has at one time been leveled.
Honestly I want to do this job and not regeret not hiring someone to install a smaller pool (if I got one installed, I can only afford a 12-15' round). I am afraid after sand, a sod cutter rental, wood frame, pavers, etc... I will be spending the same amount.
:blah:
Sorry I am so all over the place, I just can't decide what the best plan is.

if you leave the grass it will rot & you may be faced with a terrible odor for a short amount of time.
A lot of people here remove the grass completely ahead of time.

Also the feet/supports for this pool do not sit at exactly 12x24. Someone posted the exact measurements & placement of the feet on here a couple weeks ago.

If I find it again I will post a link to it

racerboy6996 said:
if you leave the grass it will rot & you may be faced with a terrible odor for a short amount of time.
A lot of people here remove the grass completely ahead of time.

Also the feet/supports for this pool do not sit at exactly 12x24. Someone posted the exact measurements & placement of the feet on here a couple weeks ago.

If I find it again I will post a link to it

I think the footprint is 13'10" x 25'10", my plan was to have the 2x12x12level with the foam padding which will be the entire surface area (12x24) so I am imagining a picture frame, the padding and sand in the center which is whee the base of the pool will be, and the wood frame going around the outside to hold the legs.

**If I use a weed killer, I have some time, that may be a cheaper answer for us. I am thinking after reading so many posts that I will make the (14x26) base out of 2x4's on laying on their sides, and then put the sand in, place the pavers in, and level those to the sand and foamboard (12x24), and then cover that with the tarp, and then set up the pool so the feet are on the pavers. Does anyone know the placement (distance) of the legs of the 12x24 ft ultra frame pool?

Reactions: Ran-D
There was a good post on here where someone uploaded a nice picture\layout of the leg placement for the rectangular pool. It showed the exact location for the legs.
I will keep looking for it, but according to Intex you are correct with the measurements

I too am intalling the 7.32m x 3.66m (sorry, i am European) ultra frame. However I am installing on a level patio. I am considering laying styrofoam and cutting out the leg positions and filling them with reinforced concrete to the level of the foam. Before covering with artificial grass. Would this layout be acceptable? I too would very much like a diagram of the leg layout with measurements.

The "C' dimension isn't drawn right. The actual dimension is correct for the whole base of the pool with legs. I took it and added the the extra inches because it shows in the drawing they are measuring from the corner of the pool out (it should be drawn like "A" and "D" are). When the pool arrived I had extra room on side. I guess it is better than being too short.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,

I would like to position my new 24 x 12 pool as close to my existing deck as possible, could someone clarify who has the 12 x 24 pool:
1) Dimensions A & B are the maximum width and length of the pool wall including 'ballooning' (12 x 24)
2) Dimensions E & F are the width and length of the frame, which is in fact less than the stated size of the pool (10.8 x 22.10)
3) The spacing of each of the supports along the length of the pool.

Many Thanks

Couple questions, having just set up the same pool.

1. Are you using the frame to screed the sand? If so, how are you leveling your wooden frame?
2. Why 1.75" of sand? That seems like too much and it will shift and/or wash away even with a frame. It seems most people recommend 1/2" to 1". Just enough to smooth out the already mostly level ground.

This chart is nice. I have been all day trying to find this out. What is the distance of center to center of the legs? I am trying to get my ground ready with blocks before I get the pool(which arrived today). I would like to have the base all set before unpacking the tool. Intex should publish this info for perfectionist like me.

Reactions: DigitalGuru
Are pavers the way to go? I just watched a video where the pavers snapped in 1/2 from the water weight. I was thinking 2x12's. I have my ground ready. pool arrives, today. How does the foam work? Is that the way to go? I already have a sand bottom. Should I be purchasing more sand?

Thanks. Sounds like more prep needed. I don't understand the 1/2 inch foam, either. I assume the gorilla tape is to tape together the foam pieces? How many 4x8 pieces do you need? Now, I assume you'll have a 1/2 inch base above the pavers or whatever you use for the legs. Confusing.....

Thanks. Now, that will give some, I assume. Ill most likely use a 2 by 12 cut for the leg pads. Do I just have them at the same height as the foam? Even though I believe the foam will compress some.

It won't give much. I think I did mine inline with the foam, but I can't recall. You could always split the difference - it's just 1/4" - it's not critical.
Good luck with the wood 2x12. You might look around here and research that more. I know it's not what most folks here recommend.

I need help: Pressure treated wood or pavers for legs supports?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.