Testing Chlorine?

May 20, 2008
I have been buying jugs of 12.5% chlorine from a pool store. I have an AGP that holds 13,500 gal.
2.5 gallons should bring chlorine level up to about 24ppm. I am consistently getting around 13ppm. 2.5 gal of 6% Clorox does that. Is there any way to test the strength of the chlorine straight from the jug? I called the pool store and they insist it's 12.5%. Said they have had no other complaints.

Thanks, I've been using BBB for 3 years, and I've had more trouble getting the pool clear this year.
Pool store said I may have something in my pool that is killing chlorine as soon as I put it in. They also said clorox couldn't possibly raise my free chlorine that much since it's only about 2%. :roll:

What is your CYA? Did it drop significantly over the winter?

There are reports of the CYA converting to ammonia which requires a LOT of chlorine to break down.

Have you used ascorbic acid to remove metal stains, as that will destroy chlorine as well?

Thanks again, CYA is at 30. I added that a while back. I guess my main complaint about the chlorine is that the same quantity of what they are selling as 12.5% raises FC about the same amount as the same quantity of 6%.

yerblues said:
Thanks again, CYA is at 30. I added that a while back. I guess my main complaint about the chlorine is that the same quantity of what they are selling as 12.5% raises FC about the same amount as the same quantity of 6%.
Then go to Costco or Walmart or whatever is nearby and load up on 6%. At least you know they have a fast turnover. The pool store may be selling you last year's leftovers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.