Reagents

RECOGNIZING A COMPROMISED REAGENT

Generally speaking, a reagent's suitability for testing is suspect if it is over one year old, if it is not the color you are used to seeing (or has changed color over time), if you see floating particles in it that do not dissolve when shaken, if it has begun to stain its container, or if it has crusted around the tip of the dropper bottle.

Here are some clues that indicate these specific reagents should be discarded:

Any liquid that has frozen
A liquid reagent may still be effective after freezing. Allow it to thaw at room temperature. If the bottle cracks, if you see a crusty buildup around the dropper tip, or if there are floating particles that do not dissolve when the bottle is shaken, replace the reagent.

R-0002 DPD Reagent #2
This solution should be colorless to be effective. As it reacts with oxidizers, the color will vary, ranging from colorless to pink then darkening to a final brown.

R-0003 DPD Reagent #3
This solution should be colorless. As it degrades, the color will become increasingly yellow.

R-0004 pH Indicator (Phenol Red)
As it degrades, the solution changes from its original red color to a yellow or purple.

R-0008 Total Alkalinity Indicator
This solution should be a dark green color. When it begins to stain the milky-colored plastic bottle, differences in initial test and endpoint colors also will be observed.

R-0011L Calcium Hardness Indicator
This solution should be a deep blue color. Any other color is an indication of replacement.

R-0718 Silver Nitrate Reagent
This solution should be colorless. There are no easily observable indications. We recommend you discard and replace on an annual basis. Note: R-0718 will stain skin.

R-0870 DPD Powder
As it degrades, the color will turn from an off-white color to gray or purple-gray and will gradually become a purple- brown color.

R-0871/R-0872 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (for chlorine/bromine)
This solution should be colorless. As it degrades, the color will become increasingly yellow.

Our customer service representatives can assist you in determining whether a reagent should be replaced.

Taylor formulates its reagents to remain effective for at least one year, with only very few exceptions (molybdenum indicator in liquid form is one; after four months old it should be tested against a standard periodically). As a general precaution, replace all reagents more than one year old, or at the beginning of a new testing season.

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ontentID=2

http://taylortechnologies.com/product_f ... fe_web.pdf

They seem ok except the DPD powder it looks like its turning a little off white or grayish. It seems pretty consistent though when testing FC.

I got the shock level up to 12 ppm, it dropped to 10.5 which in turn I put 60 ounces of bleach and it brought it back up to 12. I do realize I need to buy more but by the time I get it in the mail......

what should I do?

Called Leslie's, they don't have a clue. I ordered online tftestkits. Hope it comes soon!
If you ordered before 2:00PM Easterm, it's on it's way to you. After 2:00PM, it will ship tomorrow and likely get to you in two days or less depending on your distance from NC.

Call Taylor on the phone

Hello All~

Once maybe twice a year I call Taylor and spend a few minutes on the phone with one of the reps checking through my reagents and their lot numbers to find out if my reagents are "Fresh", "Usable", or ought to be tossed. Easy.

I keep my reagents in the house year round and I do my testing inside, which keeps everything as stable as possible.

Lana

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.