Rust Issues with my above ground pool Noob here

D0Z3R

May 30, 2012
Hey guys, Im a complete noob when it comes to pools so bare with me ha ha.

I just recently bought a house late last year and it came with an awesome 26ft diameter salt water above ground pool. Has the deck built around it and everything as you can see below.
rhsN0FjM_original.jpg

Now the the warm season is upon us, my family has really been able to injoy it. We love it, but now im starting to see some potential issues.

I have notcied like these flakes in the pool especially after a good day of swimming so I started to invesitage. I discoverd that it was due to this metal railing under the top rail thats being rusted by the salt water. Part of its paint or something is flaking off. Im sorry I have no idea what the names of these parts are. This has me concerned so I would like to get it fixed or replaced but I have no idea what these parts are called. I wish I knew the manfacturer of the pool but I cant find a name anywhere.

I decided to go to a local company that sales above ground pools. I showed him the pics below and he said its a complete loss and that its very dangerous. Said the entire pool could colapse at any moment and that I should just buy a entire new rezin aboved ground pool for $4000. I find it hard to believe that this is comething that cant easily be repaired or replaced. I think the pools is less than 3 years old. I assume whoever installed it didnt realize the salt water would be bad.

This first pic is on the outside. you will see the support beams and how the top rail attaches to it. You can also make out that metal band thats starting to show a little rust.
+OWesMDT_original.jpg

This second pic is taken from the outside of the pool and is a close up on the metal band.
o0MPj2tI_original.jpg

The last pic is take as if you are in the pool and looking under the rail to see the metal band. As you can see the rust is pretty bad and the outer coating of this band is whats flaking off into the pool.
CCm0nYhk_original.jpg

So guys what are my options here?

What's rusting is the metal strips that secure the liner over the wall, very typical of an overlap liner. The top rails actually appear to be resin and look in very good shape. That metal band that is rusting can be replaced with little effort simply by removing the top rails and working around the pool replacing one at a time right after the other then re install the top rails.

Jamison04 said:
What's rusting is the metal strips that secure the liner over the wall, very typical of an overlap liner. The top rails actually appear to be resin and look in very good shape. That metal band that is rusting can be replaced with little effort simply by removing the top rails and working around the pool replacing one at a time right after the other then re install the top rails.

Would you know where I could purchase replacement metal bands or even better "resin" bands?

You should be able to get them at any pool store. The way an overlap liner works is the liner goes over the top of the wall and it's held in place with a plastic strip and then the metal one slips over the plastic strip. The metal ones are pre bent based on the diameter of the pool. They are usually no more than 3-4ft long. The metal is what really holds the liner in place over the wall. It acts as a clamp over the plastic strip.

Jamison04 said:
You should be able to get them at any pool store. The way an overlap liner works is the liner goes over the top of the wall and it's held in place with a plastic strip and then the metal one slips over the plastic strip. The metal ones are pre bent based on the diameter of the pool. They are usually no more than 3-4ft long. The metal is what really holds the liner in place over the wall. It acts as a clamp over the plastic strip.

Well I went to the only local here where I live and the guy said that nobody sells those separately and that I would have to buy an entire pool kit. I think he was just trying to get a sale.

Is there any online store that has them? I'm not even sure what they are called, I have been googling are they called "stabilizer rails"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
crek31 said:
I don't have a permanent above ground pool, so not sure if these things are interchangeable, but here is my first google hit and looks like the right thing (let one of the others confirm that though) - and get your size, of course

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... /15360.htm

I'm going to try and contact them and see if this is what I need. Thanks!

I'm just worried that there isnt a picture. It says 27ft but does that mean its a solid pice? I was thinking it was like came in 4ft sections. Now this is my assumption of not taking any of the top rails off.

I'm waiting on them to call me back.

It says it's for sharkline pools. Do you think it's universal?

Would you guys have any suggestions on finding the manufacturer of my pool. Is there any special places that would usually show the name that I'm not aware of?

D0Z3R said:
I'm waiting on them to call me back.

It says it's for sharkline pools. Do you think it's universal?

Would you guys have any suggestions on finding the manufacturer of my pool. Is there any special places that would usually show the name that I'm not aware of?
I sent you a PM. I believe the mentioned part is the correct one. But I am happy to connect you with someone that knows for sure! Let me know if you are still waiting on a call back.

do you have to drain the water to replace the rails??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.