Am I Done Shocking ?

Apr 3, 2008
Hi guys,

So I shocked hard on Sat/Sun. Last night I had a reading of FC=13,CC=.5 in my pool at sundown (CYA = 30). Woke up at 5:30 this morning and the FC was still 13,CC=.5 so that is good. I'm assuming the sun will burn off some today.

1. So do you think I am done with having to shock the pool ?
2. If so, how often is it normal to test/add chlorine.

-S

Looks to me like you've done it....nice work.

With a CYA of 30, I would suggest an FC range of 2-5ppm kept in your pool at all times. Most posters here on the forum report FC losses of around 2ppm daily. Yours will probably be in that range although you will probably get noticeably less FC loss if you up your CYA to 50. That's what I'd do but it's not mandatory....you can operate all summer right where you are.

So, to answer, those test results indicate your done (does your water look good?)

and you'll probably need to add chlorine daily or every other day possibly.

From the numbers it sounds good, but the key is how does the water look? If it's clear and clean with no "off" odors, then fine. Otherwise keep at it.

I check my chlorine daily with the OTO test, and weekly with the FAS-DPD test. I usually have to add some every day.

ETA: Dang it Dave! That's about the third time this Spring I've posted only to find you've posted at the same time. At least we didn't give contradictory answers. :)

Yes, you are good to stop shocking, FC held steady and CC is 0.5 or lower.

If you are manually adding chlorine you typically need to test and add chlorine once per day. It is best if this is done in the evening, so that the higher FC level before you lose any to sunlight remains overnight, though other times of day will work. If you have a higher CYA level, say 60 to 80, it is often possible to add chlorine every other day.

Awesome

Awesome!! Thanks to all you guys for your help. You've been a way better resource than any of my pool service people have been and I honestly think I will be able to open/close my pool down without help now every year which is huge. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but no where as many as I've had over the past few weeks. I'm telling all my friends about this resource. Thanks

-S

JohnT,

Yeah, Jason usually beats me. I think we may have to start staying up 'til around 2:00AM and beat him that way. Of course, you and I will be the only ones on so we'll have to answer each other's questions. That could get interesting!! :shock: :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.