When to cut filter and pump off

May 20, 2012
We have been running our pump/filter consistently for 24/7 the past month. we just got our elec bill LOL yeah shocked a bit. Is it ok to turn the pol off at night or anytime for that matter?? We just got our Taylor k-2006 and testing has been a dream. Maintaining all levels great! I noticed though testing the CYA levels everyday, you will go through the drops for that test really quick. Any suggestions for that? I will probably have to buy more solution soon just to keep testing our CYA levels. Thanks for all your help! Without this site I would surely be lost and spending money out the wazoo!

From everything I've read concerning this topic, it's a trial and error thing. As far as when, it's simply personal preference. Turn it off for a set amount of time and look at the condition of the pool and measure the chemicals to make sure your chlorine levels are good. Adjust accordingly. You'll quickly determine the correct amount of time you need to keep your pool circulating. Different times of the year will dictate different times and pool use will certainly make a difference.

Can you fill us in on your pool info, including pump, cleaners, heaters, chlorinators?

CYA testing doesn't need to be done frequently. I test 2 or 3 times early in the season, then once or twice later. It doesn't change much unless you are usuing stabilized chlorine or adding CYA.

Normally you can shut it off at night. I run mine from 10am to 730pm, to take advantage of solar heating, but I could cut it back a couple of hours if I didn't have the solar. 8 hours is a good starting point for a conventional AG or IG pool.

As a rough estimate, a pump uses about 1KWH per HP, so you'd see 24X30=720KWH increase per month, or about $108 for a 1HP pump with 15 cent electricity cost.

CYA testing is a once a month deal for me after its set. Cut your run time back to 12 hours.........see how it looks. Everything good???????.............cut it back to 10 hours. I doubt many people here run over 8 hours daily in summer either all at once or broken up into timer runs.

we have an L-Shaped in-ground 40,000gal vinyl liner pool
Hayward Sand filter (not sure of mdoel #, will have to check on that)
Chlorinator (which we currently have no tabs in)

WHich brings me to another question. Are there chlorine tabs for achlorinator that doesnt add stabilizer or calcium?

fivelittlegals said:
we have an L-Shaped in-ground 40,000gal vinyl liner pool
Hayward Sand filter (not sure of mdoel #, will have to check on that)
Chlorinator (which we currently have no tabs in)

WHich brings me to another question. Are there chlorine tabs for achlorinator that doesnt add stabilizer or calcium?

I run mine from 10am-6:30pm and all is fine.
It's just trial and error to find that perfect line where things don't start to get out of control.

As for your tabs/pucks, most have an additive of some sort, to make the chlorine stable. The only way you wont add additional stuff to the pool is using liquid chlorine or regular unscented bleach.

Also, could you post your pool size, equipment and any other information in your signature for future questions. It just makes it easier for members to help determine what you have without having to keep asking or scrolling up to find it.

Like others have said, CYA testing does not need to be done often once you get to the correct level (monthly or so), just be aware it can take a week or sligtly more for the CYA to fully show up on the test after adding powdered CYA stabilizer.

Ike

I guess we will do a trial run to see how it works. Gonna try a night time rest and check things in the morning. I added our pool info to my signature, I hope it helps. Things are pretty faded outside and it's been in since 1994.

Maybe this question has been addressed, but is there a best time to add daily chlorine? Since the sun decreases the level, would it make more sense to add chlorine in the evening and run the filter all night? I suspect most people run the filter all day, but does it matter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wam525 said:
Maybe this question has been addressed, but is there a best time to add daily chlorine? Since the sun decreases the level, would it make more sense to add chlorine in the evening and run the filter all night? I suspect most people run the filter all day, but does it matter?

The best time to add chlorine is when you need it based on your daily test results.
So after you test. That way you know how much you need to add.

As for saying morning or night, I think it's negligible. If you add it in the mornings, you should add enough in there to keep it through the day until the next morning. If you add it at night, you should add enough in there to make it to the next night.

Electricity cost aside, is it a good idea to let it run on filter 24/7? I've let it run on filter for the last week nonstop and haven't been able to step foot in the pool yet thanks to the weather. It looks crystal clear though!

I was told that my electric motor will last much longer if I let it run vs. turning it on/off every day. Any truth to this? Is it worth it?

No truth to it. Same myth used for computers and florescent lights. :)

There's a point of no benefit. I only run mine 4 hours a day in the winter, 8-10 in the summer. I just go by how the water looks and adjust accordingly.

I run mine on low during daylight hours (8am-7pm) when algae has the best environment to grow. This ensures that there is chlorine flowing everywhere when the algae is trying to grow. I run it on high around 12-2pm because on low it doesnt skim very well. This ensures that when we go to swim, typically in the afternoon, the surface of the pool is clean of debris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.