Need a little advice

G

Guys,

I have an interesting situation. My pool is cloudy but I cannot figure out why... here are my current numbers:

FC 7
CC 0
CYA 45
PH 7.6
CH 80
TA100

The water is very clear in the shallow end (3') but cloudy in the deep end (8'). You can see the main drain but just barely! When the pool first became cloudy I shocked, then I did the OCLT last night and FC dropped from 7 to 6.5 while CC remained 0. To me that means I don't have organics... maybe this is a filter issue? I tapped on the exterior of the filter with a rubber mallet last night but that doesn't seem to have had any effect. The next thing I was going to try was adding DE to the filter... here are some photos:

Attachments

• IMG-20120529-00319.jpg
    IMG-20120529-00319.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG-20120529-00320.jpg
    IMG-20120529-00320.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 468
How's the circulation? Is there a main drain and is it drawing?

Personally, I'd keep it at shock level for another day at least, as you haven't passed the 3rd test - "the water is clear".

If you sure you have good circulation in the deep end, and the chlorine is high, then put some DE in there. Expect pressure to rise quick, it filters out really small stuff.

I am only posting to agree with what you both are saying. I think you need some more filtration but I would keep it at shock one more day sorta' being extra safe...like wearing a belt and suspenders.

(Nice Largemouth, by the way.)

Circulation is fine - main drain is working well, skimmer is pulling well through skimmer socks changed daily, and I've backwashed regularly when the pressure gets high.

The thing is, I don't think its algae... the pool became cloudy with 5ppm of FC in it. Algae can't get a foothold unless the FC gets below minimum levels, right? I think that there is dust/pollen that the filter is not trapping, and when the pool cleaner runs it kicks it up causing the cloudiness, but I could be wrong :)

Sorry, I missed that. It is definitively not algae then. filtration is all that's left. Some people use a clarifier with great success....others have no luck at all. Your call.

When did you last inspect your sand bed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got home and was greeted by a green deep end :-(

Tested water and FC is 4, CC still 0! I only lost 1.5ppm of FC during the day today and nothing in the pool is consuming chlorine, how can this be?

Attachments

• IMG-20120530-00322.jpg
    IMG-20120530-00322.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 418
All right, I took the bull by the horns and brought the FC up to 20ppm. Then I added enough FiberClear to the skimmer to raise the filter pressure by one pound. Be interesting to see what she looks like in the morning :)

wkener2 said:
All right, I took the bull by the horns and brought the FC up to 20ppm. Then I added enough FiberClear to the skimmer to raise the filter pressure by one pound. Be interesting to see what she looks like in the morning :)
If you haven't yet, I would test tonight to get a good number for another OCLT. Measure CC as well.

Checked before I left for work this morning: FC dropped to 16ppm, CC still 0. I added more bleach to Filter pressure was up about 4psi from last night. Hard to tell in the pre-dawn, but it looked like the pool cleared overnight!

Got home from work, pool has cleared, not crystal yet, but much better than it has been. FC dropped to 8, so I added bleach to get back to shock level. I will do an OCLT tonight. Filter pressure was sky high, so much so that little water was coming out of the returns. I backwashed/rinsed a couple times, then when I set it back to filter and the system primed up I had pure green water coming out of the returns for the first few seconds! Was this algae that had collected in the pipes due to the reduced circulation? Pics from tonight:

Attachments

• IMG-20120531-00323.jpg
    IMG-20120531-00323.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG-20120531-00324.jpg
    IMG-20120531-00324.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 370
wkener2 said:
Got home from work, pool has cleared, not crystal yet, but much better than it has been. FC dropped to 8, so I added bleach to get back to shock level. I will do an OCLT tonight. Filter pressure was sky high, so much so that little water was coming out of the returns. I backwashed/rinsed a couple times, then when I set it back to filter and the system primed up I had pure green water coming out of the returns for the first few seconds! Was this algae that had collected in the pipes due to the reduced circulation? Pics from tonight:
Did you use the rinse cycle? What you probably saw was the crud that hadn't finished being backwashed suddenly getting reversed back into your pool. At least you know you're filtering something out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.