Filter drain leak

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
There is an issue with the filter drain nozzle on my filter. Info on the type is in my signature.

Basically, some animal over a winter has chewed off a good portion of the threads on the nozzle that sticks out from the bottom of the filter. I've been able to put a ton of thread tape on it and get the leak down to a slow drip but eventually it starts leaking quite a bit and I have to reapply the temporary fix. I went to a hardware store looking for a rubber cap with a band clamp but the smallest size they had was 2". I talked to a local pool guy and he said the only way to repair it was to replace the whole thing, which I thought was a load of bull. Maybe he's right, but I tend to think otherwise.

Anything you all know of that will fix the issue or is there away to just replace part of the filter? I didn't take a picture but most of the threads are there on the highest part of the drain nozzle and probably 3/4 of an inch are gone on the bottom.

I need a smaller cap, but I'll try somewhere else. I was at Lowe's. I think I need a 1" cap, the 1.5 was way too big.

It's molded in the tank of the filter, so I assumed at the very least you could replace just the tank and not all of the valves and inner workings of the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.