I thought I knew how to get the water clear but I dont..Help

May 29, 2011
SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Okay I was on here last year and Several people helped me and I had no trouble getting my girlfriends pool as clear as a bell from a green lagoon. This year is another story.

To start with I guess I didnt do a good job of closing the pool because it was green and cloudy when opened.

I have been working on it for a week now and cannot get it cleared up...Please tell me what I am doing wrong, this is reading from a few minutes ago and right after this I added 182 oz of Bleach.

FC - 12
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 100
CYA - 35

I have already put like 20 gallons of bleach at least in the pool and have had the FC at 19 for like 12 hours and then the same day did the Overnight test and it dropped like 2.5 overnight.

I have been trying to keep the level up but it is hard with having to buy so much bleach.

I gave in a used 3 bags of Aqua Chem Shock Xtra Blue that she had in the shed from early last year. Ingredients are:
Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione 63.05%
Copper (Metallic) 0.26%
Other Ingred. 36.69%
Total Ingred. 100%
Avail. Chlorine 39%

I know I shouldnt have done this but I wanted to get the Chlorine up to Shock level without having to go to town to get bleach again.

I have vacuum to waste multiple times and have had the filter on for a week now straight. I dont see any algae but I cannot see the bottom of the pool in the deep end and barely in the 4 foot shallow end.

Any suggestions. Thanks so much for help and to keep my girlfriend off of my back. :-D

Re: I thought I knew how to get the water clear but I dont..

Ok, a few questions, how and when did you test for the numbers? When did you add the dichlor shock? how big is the pool?
ps in case I don't get back for a while you need more bleach, also the dichlor would add cya so it will raise your target shock level

Yep, you will need more chlorine. I would not add anymore shock xtra blue for the above mentioned issue of adding cya, and it's adding copper which you do not want or need. Keep your FC at 14 ppm (for cya of 35ppm per poolcalculator.com).

Isaac-1 said:
Ok, a few questions, how and when did you test for the numbers? When did you add the dichlor shock? how big is the pool?
ps in case I don't get back for a while you need more bleach, also the dichlor would add cya so it will raise your target shock level

TF-100 test kit that I purchased last year - have been testing daily and more

Dichlor shock was added 3 days ago

Pool is 20' x 40' approx. 36000 from what I can tell. It is like 4 ft in shallow and 8 ft. in deep end.

Thanks for all replies

Hang in there.........that's a whole lotta pool to clear. MAINTAINING shock level is the key. You seem to be losing more FC than just testing "daily or more" is gonna get it done for you. Hit it good at dusk and test hourly as long as you can overnite.

You should probably raise your shock value from 12 to 16 to be sure. 12 is very minimum for your CYA.

Here are several pics over the last week from the first day forward.
7291670360_b73436eb75_z.jpg

7291666354_fcc4251923.jpg

7291648744_510810f38c.jpg

this is pretty much how it has looked for past 3 days

7291309132_8eb69da8e5.jpg

I'd say you know how to clear it - you've done fine so far. Well, except for adding the powdered stuff that just raised your CYA level, which also raised the FC shock level.....

Keep the FC up, keep brushing, perhaps try pulling the light and cleaning out the niche, and when you stop losing FC overnight, consider adding some DE (Or fiberclear)to the filter to grab the superfine stuff.

The pool didn't get green and gooey in a week, it won't get crystal clear in a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You got dead algae, that's why it's cloudy. Otherwise, it looks great! Keep shock level maintained, and filter filter filter. It'll clear. Takes time once you get to cloudy blue like this though. You're not done shocking till it's clear. Those cloudy dead algaes will just come back if you let your guard down now. Like zombies...

linen said:
How often are you having to backwash?

That is one thing that has me baffled the pressure is around 12-14 and has stayed there. I have backwashed several times, but i have mainly vacuum to waste. Even when I did not vacuum to waste the pressure did not go up. Last year it would rise. I had to replace the gauge at the start of the year, so should be a good one.

medic502 said:
linen said:
How often are you having to backwash?

That is one thing that has me baffled the pressure is around 12-14 and has stayed there. I have backwashed several times, but i have mainly vacuum to waste. Even when I did not vacuum to waste the pressure did not go up. Last year it would rise. I had to replace the gauge at the start of the year, so should be a good one.
Maybe the filter sand is getting channeled. Meaning, instead of a nice bed of sand crystals, you have sandstone chunks and the water goes through the cracks between them. Open the filter, poke around gently with a stick, then stick a garden hose in there and try moving things around.

Yes gauge goes to zero...I will give it another day and see if any improvement. The Filter and Sand were replaced summer before last.

Like Richard said, consider adding a little DE to the sand filter (this will tend to get flushed out when you backwash), lots of people claim it can help speed up clearing cloudy water with sand filters.

FC is up to 19 tonight and I can smell the Chlorine for the first time tonight when I went out to the pool. I also added 182 oz. of bleach after I got the 19 reading tonight at 9pm.

The water is still as cloudy if has been and I did vacuum again today and got some more leaves off of the bottom of the deep end that I could not see. If not better tomorrow I am going to open up the filter and see if it will help to move the sand around some, as the previous poster suggested. Thanks again

Numbers tonight at 9pm

FC 19
CC .5
PH 7.4
TA 80

Is your CC of 5 ppm correct, or should that be 0.5 ppm? If it is 5, then that would explain the smell. Keep up with the shocking process until you meet all 3 criteria (in my sig).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.