Hello From GA!

May 29, 2012
Atlanta GA
I have had a love :cool: (the kids)/ hate :rant: (me) relationship with our pool for 6 yrs now. If something could happen to it, it has. Decided this year I was going to try to BBB method. The forum looks like a great place to learn more, and hopefully help me hate the pool less.
Just started the shock method, after fighting the last few weeks with Pool store super shock and getting no where. Also, my local pool store is 35 mins away, so it will be easiers getting the items needed to maintain the pool at my local Home Depot or Walmart. Not to mention save on gas. I have a simple 5 way test and testing strips, but will be ordering the new pool testing kit soon.

So glad I found this site, and hope I can post with the wonderful results I have read about. :-D

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Post any current test results that you have.

It will be very hard to accurately keep the FC above the required shock value for your CYA value until you have your good test kit in hand. The TF-100 gets shipped quickly, so there is a chance you could have it by the weekend.

Let us know when questions come up ... hopefully you are reading through Pool School while you are waiting :goodjob:

Well after reading the pool school the other day, and also how to "shock" I ran out and bought some Bleach. Used the pool calculator for the appropriate amount and added it that night.
The pool is still a light cloudy green. About a foot visibility. I have been brushing it every night after the sun goes down, and backwashing in the am. Leaving the filter on 24/7.
I have the Taylor 2005 kit, so that is what I have been using for the time being.
The pool has been keeping chlorine since the initial dose. Here are the readings.

FC -5 (its the highest reading on the tube)
TC -5
PH-7.6
TA-190
CH-200
CYA- 40

Is there anyway with this test to get a higher reading for the chlorine? I have read and reread the book, haven't seen anything to calculate it higher.
Also wanted to ask about the DE..I have some that I use on my livestock. Talked to the pool guy and he said you can only use it in actually DE filters not sand? Is this true, and if I can use it would it help with the cloudiness?

Thanks!! M!

To test higher levels of FC, you will need a FAS-DPD chlorine test. This comes with the Taylor K-2006, but not the 2005. It also comes with the TF-100 kit.

You can buy only the FAS-DPD test if you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MargaretB3 said:
Thanks Blake...just called the pool store, they have them in stock, so I guess I'll be back in an hour with those results :)

Please make sure they do not sell you the DPD test ... you want the FAS-DPD test (it uses a powder). Seems VERY rare for a local store to have it.

With you current test you could use a 50/50 mix of pool water and distilled water and then double the reading ... but this introduces errors.

EDIT: Also note that the DE used for your horse is probably different than pool DE. You can add a little pool DE to your sand filter to help grab smaller particles of debris.

After driving out to the pool store, and specifically asking for the FAS-DPD test AND being told they had it...they didn't. :grrrr:
I did take in a sample of my water.
TC 8.5
FC 7.9
PH 7.9
TA 157
CH 205
CYA 76

While I was there they tried to sell me the strongest alegicide in stock...shock, treat- shock then treat (after telling me my chlorine was to high) and that it had something to do with my pool having steel sides. (that was a new one) Also wanted me to purchase some Lo N Slo. I didn't purchase either. I was so irritated after driving that far and them not having the test.
So I'm off to the pool calculator again, will add more bleach. And will head to the site to order the FAS-DPD online. He did ask how often I was backwashing...how often should I be doing it? I have done it the past two morning when I noticed my pressure was up.

The DE that I have is the food grade, is that not the same thing you use in pools?

I'm in Dallas GA...little town in the west. :-D

Backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% of your clean pressure.

Food and pool DE is different.

Note the dilution method that I mentioned previously that could be used with your current chlorine test while waiting for the FAS-DPD test. Or you could use 2/3 distilled and 1/3 pool water and multiply by 3.

Sorry to keep coming back. I just went to the pool calculator after visiting the chlorine/CYA chart. For shocking it says the target range is 28. When I entered the values in the pool calculator it said to add only .7oz. Does this sound right? Am I doing something wrong?

MargaretB3 said:
I'm in Dallas GA...little town in the west. :-D

I know where Dallas is; I'm in Marietta, so not terribly far.
I totally understand your fustration with the pool store. I'd been going to Leslies for a while & got to know the manager pretty well. She never tried to oversell me on anything & always had the best answers for any pool problem. Recently she moved to open another store that's not at all close to home :rant:
Her replacement tries to sell me all kinds of junk I don't need. No matter what it is, I always say "Oh, I already have that at home"

jblizzle said:
Note the dilution method that I mentioned previously that could be used with your current chlorine test while waiting for the FAS-DPD test. Or you could use 2/3 distilled and 1/3 pool water and multiply by 3.
Jason, wont this still only measure up to 15 FC? If the target FC is 28 to shock, I'm not sure that method would work. (obviously, correct me if I am wrong :hammer: )

blakej said:
jblizzle said:
Jason, wont this still only measure up to 15 FC? If the target FC is 28 to shock, I'm not sure that method would work. (obviously, correct me if I am wrong :hammer: )

Yes. You are correct. I wrote that with the thought of maintain a FC of less than 15ppm ... but now think I may have gotten threads confused in my head :oops:

EDIT: Now I see. This morning the CYA was reported as 40ppm where shock is 16ppm, so the 1/3 would sort of work. Now the pool store says CYA is 76ppm. SO ... did CYA really change or is this another example of inaccurate pool store testing ???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support