Salt Sys with pH control

Welcome to TFP!

Not very many people have systems like that, so there may not be very many comments. Have you thought about a peristaltic pump and acid tank system? I have the AutoPilot Total Control system, which does both PH and ORP automation, though I actually run it in PH automation mode and do chlorine by the usual percentage setting. Given what the PH add on systems cost, you might want to look at the Total Control system.

Of the three you've listed the CAT is the best bet or the Total Control system. I'd stick with acid though. CO2 isn't as great as it's made out to be, especially with the injector and regulator that comes with a residential grade system in that price range.

Biggest problems with CO2 injections systems is that they can (and do) cause the TA to rise over time in actual use, which makes pH rise faster, which requires more CO2 to lower pH, which causes TA to rise over time....

Where this leads is to have to add acid to lower the TA!

The question becomes whether you want to use small amounts of acid to maintain your pH on a regular basis or a large amount of acid and aeration to lower your TA on a less frequent basis. IMHO, the former is MUCH easier to do (and certainly more cost effective since you don't need the CO2 injection equipment).

waterbear said:
Biggest problems with CO2 injections systems is that they can (and do) cause the TA to rise over time in actual use, which makes pH rise faster, which requires more CO2 to lower pH, which causes TA to rise over time....

Where this leads is to have to add acid to lower the TA!

The question becomes whether you want to use small amounts of acid to maintain your pH on a regular basis or a large amount of acid and aeration to lower your TA on a less frequent basis. IMHO, the former is MUCH easier to do (and certainly more cost effective since you don't need the CO2 injection equipment).

I'm in full agreement with this except I will add that if CO2 is diffused fine enough the TA effect seems to be mitigated drastically. The trouble is that a good diffusion/sidestream assembly or contact chamber is way more expensive than it's worth to a homeowner.

It's another one of those items that's sold on the fear of acid to the homeowner. Nobody ever mentions that CO2 can be just as dangerous if not more.

Aquaman95 said:
I'm in full agreement with this except I will add that if CO2 is diffused fine enough the TA effect seems to be mitigated drastically. The trouble is that a good diffusion/sidestream assembly or contact chamber is way more expensive than it's worth to a homeowner.

It's another one of those items that's sold on the fear of acid to the homeowner. Nobody ever mentions that CO2 can be just as dangerous if not more.

Thank you! My point exactly! While CO2 injection is certainly a viable alternative for a commercial recreational water facility, IMHO it is overkill on a residential pool and not really cost effective. (Not to mention that the quality of the equipment usually offered for residential use does leave something to be desired.)

CO2 is not only as dangerous as acid, it can be deadly under certain conditions (such as in an enclosed space, since it is heaver than air! Suffocation from CO2 does happen!)

waterbear said:
Aquaman95 said:

Thank you! My point exactly! While CO2 injection is certainly a viable alternative for a commercial recreational water facility, IMHO it is overkill on a residential pool and not really cost effective. (Not to mention that the quality of the equipment usually offered for residential use does leave something to be desired.)

CO2 is not only as dangerous as acid, it can be deadly under certain conditions (such as in an enclosed space, since it is heaver than air! Suffocation from CO2 does happen!)

I know, I had an employee die from it down in Sanford. He was working a second job for a CO2 delivery company at the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.