Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Sys with pH control

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Sys with pH control

Thanks!
    30,000 gallon vinyl / Starite pump, Sys 2 cartridge, Max-E-Therm 333k heater / Bioguard SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

Not very many people have systems like that, so there may not be very many comments. Have you thought about a peristaltic pump and acid tank system? I have the AutoPilot Total Control system, which does both PH and ORP automation, though I actually run it in PH automation mode and do chlorine by the usual percentage setting. Given what the PH add on systems cost, you might want to look at the Total Control system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    I know the CAT 1000 and Acu-trol Smart pH can used either an acid pump or a C02 regulator for pH correction, what does the autopilot use?
    30,000 gallon vinyl / Starite pump, Sys 2 cartridge, Max-E-Therm 333k heater / Bioguard SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

AutoPilot uses a Stenner Chemical Feed Pump (45M-1) and a 15 gallon UV rated tank. We are also looking into making a kit for CO2 systems, which is typically a 24 Volts ac solenoid valve.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

5. Back To Top    #5
    Of the three you've listed the CAT is the best bet or the Total Control system. I'd stick with acid though. CO2 isn't as great as it's made out to be, especially with the injector and regulator that comes with a residential grade system in that price range.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Biggest problems with CO2 injections systems is that they can (and do) cause the TA to rise over time in actual use, which makes pH rise faster, which requires more CO2 to lower pH, which causes TA to rise over time....

Where this leads is to have to add acid to lower the TA!

The question becomes whether you want to use small amounts of acid to maintain your pH on a regular basis or a large amount of acid and aeration to lower your TA on a less frequent basis. IMHO, the former is MUCH easier to do (and certainly more cost effective since you don't need the CO2 injection equipment).

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Biggest problems with CO2 injections systems is that they can (and do) cause the TA to rise over time in actual use, which makes pH rise faster, which requires more CO2 to lower pH, which causes TA to rise over time....

Where this leads is to have to add acid to lower the TA!

The question becomes whether you want to use small amounts of acid to maintain your pH on a regular basis or a large amount of acid and aeration to lower your TA on a less frequent basis. IMHO, the former is MUCH easier to do (and certainly more cost effective since you don't need the CO2 injection equipment).
    I'm in full agreement with this except I will add that if CO2 is diffused fine enough the TA effect seems to be mitigated drastically. The trouble is that a good diffusion/sidestream assembly or contact chamber is way more expensive than it's worth to a homeowner.

It's another one of those items that's sold on the fear of acid to the homeowner. Nobody ever mentions that CO2 can be just as dangerous if not more.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman95

I'm in full agreement with this except I will add that if CO2 is diffused fine enough the TA effect seems to be mitigated drastically. The trouble is that a good diffusion/sidestream assembly or contact chamber is way more expensive than it's worth to a homeowner.

It's another one of those items that's sold on the fear of acid to the homeowner. Nobody ever mentions that CO2 can be just as dangerous if not more.
    Thank you! My point exactly! While CO2 injection is certainly a viable alternative for a commercial recreational water facility, IMHO it is overkill on a residential pool and not really cost effective. (Not to mention that the quality of the equipment usually offered for residential use does leave something to be desired.)

CO2 is not only as dangerous as acid, it can be deadly under certain conditions (such as in an enclosed space, since it is heaver than air! Suffocation from CO2 does happen!)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman95

Thank you! My point exactly! While CO2 injection is certainly a viable alternative for a commercial recreational water facility, IMHO it is overkill on a residential pool and not really cost effective. (Not to mention that the quality of the equipment usually offered for residential use does leave something to be desired.)

CO2 is not only as dangerous as acid, it can be deadly under certain conditions (such as in an enclosed space, since it is heaver than air! Suffocation from CO2 does happen!)
    I know, I had an employee die from it down in Sanford. He was working a second job for a CO2 delivery company at the time.

10. Back To Top    #10

Hayward's 2008 model AquaRite Pro is a salt generator that also monitors and adjust ph alone or ph and chlorine levels depending on which one you get. It works adjusting the swg's output based on sensors and the ph adjustment works with either 1) a CO2 bottle hookup or a 3rd party Mur. Acid pump feeder, like the Stenner.

http://goldlinecontrols.com/Products/AquaRitePro.aspx
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com