May 29, 2012
Here are my current levels:

FC: 0
PH: 7.4
TA: 150
CH: Can't remember here at work
CYA: Less than 30

Used the K2006 test kit.

I tried to shock it using 6% bleach and added approximately 215 ounces to our pool yesterday plus 14oz of Borax to raise the PH slightly.
This afternoon it is still registering no FC and very low CYA.
Water was pretty clear before shocking it but turned slightly cloudy after adding the bleach.
It is still cloudy today.

What should I tackle next?

How about telling us a little history on your pool, is this a fresh fill, what sort of chemicals have you used in the past, etc. Cloudy water may be algae, but given your description of it showing up after adding bleach, I would suspect high calcium hardness or maybe metals in the water first.

It was a new pool and filled last summer (late summer). Opened the pool to crystal clean water and the kids have even been swimming before I have added any bleach or chlorine. It isn't super cloudy but definitely has a haze to it that we haven't seen before.
Is there a way a raise CYA without going to a pool store for stabilizer?

You can usually find stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid at Walmart and maybe at the big hardware stores. It is possible to go to the pool store and only buy what you need though ;)

FYI, each pound of stabilizer will raise your CYA by 12ppm in a 10k gallon pool.

Regarding our past chemical usage it has only ever been bleach and floater pucks last summer.

How many times will I need to dump bleach into it to truly shock it? Or should I just buy pool store shock?

drc525 said:
Regarding our past chemical usage it has only ever been bleach and floater pucks last summer.

How many times will I need to dump bleach into it to truly shock it? Or should I just buy pool store shock?

The pucks were previously adding your CYA.

Read the links in my first posts which answer your other questions.

You add enough bleach to get above you FC shock level all at once.
Test after an hour and add more bleach to get above FC shock level again.
Repeat as needed.
You can extend the time between tests as the FC starts to hold

If you are not shocking, then you will need to add bleach everyday to stay in the recommended FC levels.

The levels are based on your CYA according to Chlorine CYA Chart

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to reiterate, chlorine gets used up constantly by organics and the sun so you have to replenish it at least every day unless you're shocking to kill something, then it's as often as you can. Preferrably once an hour in the begining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.