Converting to SWG

May 20, 2012
Our current pool is without SWG. I'm interested in converting it to SWG. Couple of questions.

1. Initial cost
2. Difficulty of installation to existing pump and sand filter.
3. Time to convert water

Also, interested in putting a timer on the pump. Is it a difficult installation? Currently just have a switch to flip on/off, that also supplies the has heater.

Thanks for any suggestions

Most info can be found here: pool-school/salt_water_chlorine_generators

1. Depends on the system and size of pool guessing $1000 +/- $400 :)
2. If you have worked with PVC and electricity before, install is pretty easy. Generally just using solvent on 2 fittings and attaching the cell with union fittings.
3. Just have to adjust CYA, add the salt, circulate the water for 24 hours, turn on the generator ... may take a few weeks to dial in the % setting and pump run time to get the correct FC levels.

Again, if you have done electrical work, adding a simple mechanical timer (Intermatic) is easy.

621cacf6-f598-df47.jpg

621cacf6-f5ac-5862.jpg

Here's my set up

As the pool water exits the heater, you could disconnect that pipe and reroute it level accross and install the SWG there. I think I might even elevate that jandy valve up to the same level as the pipes to and from the heater just because I personally hate bending over (age has nothing to do with it :shock: :shock: ) I can't tell if that Jandy valve is threaded or not so you might lose it in the conversion.

Working with PVC is easy enough. There's a lot of people on here who are QUITE good at it (each thinks they are the best, but I think it is probably me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) and everyone will help walk you through it if you choose that route.

Here's the manual for the unit I installed. It shows where the cell goes. It's the last thing in line before the water goes to the pool.

I'm surprised a system of that size has no timer. You definitely need to get a timer.

RobbieH said:
Here's the manual for the unit I installed. It shows where the cell goes. It's the last thing in line before the water goes to the pool.

I'm surprised a system of that size has no timer. You definitely need to get a timer.

Thanks, Does the link not show up using tapatalk?

No timer because the pool builder recommends running pump 24/7. I didn't know any better until I found this site.

ssrhodes6 said:
Thanks, Does the link not show up using tapatalk?
Not showing up for me on standard browser either.

ssrhodes6 said:
No timer because the pool builder recommends running pump 24/7. I didn't know any better until I found this site.
Yeah, you shouldn't need to run 24/7, but if you wanted too, then at least a 2-speed pump would reduce your costs. Otherwise a timer makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.