getting re aquainted

Tldga3

May 29, 2012
I have not opened my pool for two years.

I tried opening my pool over the holiday weekend...
I have a Kayak 16x20x4 and have always struggled with startups. I think I see the source of my frustration as the paper element type filter that my pool came with. I realized this year that I just about ruin a filter per startup since I dont have a vac to waste feature. Lets see, two filters per year at $130 or just buy a sand filter... So I am getting a Hayward sand filter. My pool wasnt too green, more of an issue of something (old cover) have deteriorated. These particles are really hard to get out. I now have my chemistry about right and the water is getting more clear, but I continually have to remove my filter, spray it off and put it back together. My new sand filter should arrive before next weekend.

I need pool school and will be watching all the videos I can...

Bob

Hello Bob and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Are the pieces of the cover something you could fish out with net?

As for water chemistry levels, are you testing your own water? Or taking water to pool store. In the long run, it is much easier to manage your water chemistry with your own test kit. It IS a small investment, but will save you money because you will not be 'sold' on random, unnecessary chemicals from the pool store.

You should check out pool school and read about the shocking process. You will have a much better (and easier) pool season if you follow the shocking steps.

We are here to help, so feel free to ask anything you like!

The material that is now left is small enough it sifts right through the hand skimmer net. What I did to help matters was switch my filtration to side skimmer only and placed pantyhose over the basket and much has come out that way. Its bluish-gray and like a fine dust. For the two swimming seasons that we did not swim the winter cover was left on and deteriorated. The deteriorated cover was replaced last fall (2011) by our local pool store. I didnt get to see the condition of the bottom of the cover he removed so I am not 100% certain of what I am saying about the material in question.

I test my own water using aqua check strips.

Thanks,
Bob

I agree that a drop based test will serve you much better than strips. The two kits that come most recommended at TFP are the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006. Both kits have FAS-DPD chlorine tests, which is important because you can measure high levels of FC accurately. This is increasingly important when shocking your pool, which sounds like something you should strongly consider.

As for the filter, what cartridge filter do you currently have? And why do you feel the need to replace it twice per year? This seems excessive to me, but I do not know your exact situation. It would be helpful if you added your pool and equipment information to your signature box. This can be done using the user control panel (in the upper left corner of page).

Happy swimming!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.