80% of what I was vacuuming coming back out of the return wa

May 29, 2012
We bought & moved in our home the end of April 2011... just a little over a year. The existing above ground pool is 28,000 gallons (I believe it's 27ft round). Since we've only lived there 1 year, I don't know when it was installed- other than owners manauls I've found, it seems the pool was installed sometime in 2008.

Last year, we didn't have a bit of problems with it! I was worried being new, and was shocked at how easy it really was! Winter came, we took it all back apart and stored the filter and pump in the shed.

Last weekend, we opened the pool to find out the pump was dead! We bought a new pump with strain housing and the filter basket (1 1/2 horse power). The old pump had threads on the outside and inside of the valve where the hose goes from the filter. The new pump only has the threads on the inside. The fitting on the hose was 3 inches and the threads on the iside of the pump is 1 1/2 inches.

Long story short, pvc pipe didn't resolve it and pool supply store said they couldn't help because they only carry up to 1 1/2 inch pipe and fittings. We bought a new hose and 1 1/2 inch adapters, used 2 metal clamps on each end and so far so good!

Filled the water back up, added shock & chlorine and turned everything on over night! When it was first turned on, it put sand from the filter into the pool- but stopped after 10/15 seconds.

Went to vacuum the pool Memorial Day so the kids could finally get in it. Thrilled of how well it was picking up the dirt on the floor- turned to check to be sure the hose wasn't tangled and saw 80% of what I was vacuuming coming back out of the return water!

My husband tried to backwash the filter, we emptied the basket on the pump (full of sand), turned it back on- again 10/15 seconds of more sand sent to the pool. He tried a few other things on the filter- the dial on top sounded like it had sand in it, and has almost "jammed" to where it's so hard to turn- plus we can't figure out WHY sand and dirt from vacuuming is being sent back to the pool in the return water!!!

PLEASE HELP if you know why it's doing this!... If you know what to do to fix or how to resolve it! Since buying the pump and valve not being the same so the hose didn't fit, pvc pipe didn't work and now this ... we are at our breaking point with the pool this year!!!~

Re: 80% of what I was vacuuming coming back out of the retur

Can you provide more info on your equipment setup ... maybe a picture?

Sounds like the gasket in the multi-valve could be leaking allow the water to skip the filter, but I am not sure if I understood your setup.

If you have a multi-valve on the top of the sand filter, there should be 8 screws on the top. Remove them and you can inspect the inside of the valve for damage (and to clean the sand out maybe).

When I had a similar issue I opened my filter housing to find....nothing! The morons I hired to open the pool failed to bring them and install them!!! Suffice it to say I was very ****** off and will never use them ever again.

Equipment: old pump was a Century. New Hayward. Filter: Sparco by Century. It has a turn dial on top- I'm wanting to say 6 settings but I would have to verify that when I get home to be sure!
-As for posting a picture of the equipment, I'd be glad to! But I am a new user of this site & someone would have to tell me where the option is here!

Welcome to TFP.

Is this what your filter looks like?

Did you move the filter with the sand in it? If so you most likely broke the laterals or stand pipe. You'll have to take it apart to see what's going on inside it.

The filter is made by Century. Has 7 settings! And for whatever reason, we went to vacuum it out again yesterday after work and the stupid thing worked- we vacuumed it on the "Waste" setting! The dial did not stick or give us any problems! (All of this while we had the original owners manual in hand)!
Now we've opened the pool & vacuumed it completely, the rest of the season will remain calm with just maintenance! Thanks for all the possible issues, what to look for & the advice! I assure you, we looked into ALL of them!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.