Spa level matching the Pool level

Kihon

Apr 14, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
I have a pebble tech based pool with a raised spa to the side that waterfalls back into the pool i.e. while the pump/filter is running, the spa is designed to overflow like a small waterfall into the pool.

The problem: I notice that every morning (the pump runs 9am through 4pm), our spa level is matching the level of the pool. The spa is a built in that's raised 12-18 inches or so above the pool. As soon as the pump comes on, its set to return through the spa and pool, so within a few minutes, the spa is back up again. I'm assuming the water is leaking into the pool, since the pool level goes up, through a valve each evening and not draining away somewhere else. Its been going on like this for a few months now. I tried rebuilding the jandy valves with new orings and such. But to no avail.

In a nutshell, the raised spa drains down overnight to the pool level.

I know installing a check valve in between the spa drain and the pump inlet would fix it, but I don't have room.

Q1: Can I install a check valve "AFTER" the main circ pump? to fix this issue?

Q2: What kind of check valve do I need? Spring check or swing check?

Thanks!

Did it ever work the way you want, water level staying up, or has it always drained down?

If it used to work then one of your valves isn't sealing completely.

If it never worked then you probably need to add a check valve in the right spot. Just where that spot might be depends on how your system is setup in quite a bit of detail.

Yes, it did work properly up until about 3 months ago. Then I replaced all the valves' insides on the entire pool.

I just need to know if installing a check valve on the pump discharg will work

Thank you :)

JasonLion said:
Did it ever work the way you want, water level staying up, or has it always drained down?

If it used to work then one of your valves isn't sealing completely.

If it never worked then you probably need to add a check valve in the right spot. Just where that spot might be depends on how your system is setup in quite a bit of detail.

You might get lucky, but probably not. All of the valves involved need to seal properly or it isn't going to work. Depending on how your plumbing is setup there are probably two or more three way valves and at least one check valve involved. The check valve(s) should be able to be opened to get cleaned out. Do you know if you worked on the check valve as well as the three way valves? It is also important that any cam stops that were present got replaced in the correct position(s).

Do only moderators reply here? :) lol

Here is an picture I took the other day. If you look at the picture, I have labelled somethings. I am in the process of trying to figure out what pipes are what. I am reviewing old pictures of when the pool was installed 4 years ago.

Attachments

• pool_valves1.jpg
    pool_valves1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 128
check valve

There is a check valve between the pump and the spa inlets ( I can almost guarantee that it is not leaking out of the spa drain). Typically this valve is gray in color and will be located where the pipe direction changes from horizontal to vertical. There will be a cap on the end of this valve. Remove the cap (with the pump off), the spring and the seat will come out. Replace these two parts and you will good to go.

Remember, without a picture for me to see this is all just speculation. Good Luck!

Bill

Re: check valve

Thanks for the reply, but you didn't see my picture I attached?

CabanaBoy said:
There is a check valve between the pump and the spa inlets ( I can almost guarantee that it is not leaking out of the spa drain). Typically this valve is gray in color and will be located where the pipe direction changes from horizontal to vertical. There will be a cap on the end of this valve. Remove the cap (with the pump off), the spring and the seat will come out. Replace these two parts and you will good to go.

Remember, without a picture for me to see this is all just speculation. Good Luck!

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_2898.jpg
    IMG_2898.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 33
Do you have any other pictures of the plumbing from other angles? It's kind of hard to follow the flow in that one. The valve you have marked as 'spa valve' looks to be on the suction side of the pump meaning it's controlling weather water is sourced from the pool or spa. It's not really clear to me which is the return valve... I'm guessing in the top middle but it's a bit of a spaghetti nest of plumbing...

I see two fittings that look like sections of thicker pipe, one vertically just in front of the left hand pump and another on a horizontal pipe between the two foreground motorized valves. They look rather like some sealed check valves that I have seen, for example this one. If those are indeed check valves, they are not so simple to clean out when they get stuck.

Something isn't sealing correctly and if you can figure out which valve it is then it will be practical to fix it, but I am not completely sure how to figure out which one it is without using one of those remote plumbing cameras that snake through the pipe and show pictures from the inside.

Here is a video of my equipment

JasonLion said:
I see two fittings that look like sections of thicker pipe, one vertically just in front of the left hand pump and another on a horizontal pipe between the two foreground motorized valves. They look rather like some sealed check valves that I have seen, for example this one. If those are indeed check valves, they are not so simple to clean out when they get stuck.

Something isn't sealing correctly and if you can figure out which valve it is then it will be practical to fix it, but I am not completely sure how to figure out which one it is without using one of those remote plumbing cameras that snake through the pipe and show pictures from the inside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.