Clarity in the deep end not where I want it - Ideas?

May 26, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums (see my intro post here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/hello-race-fans-indianapolis-newbie-here-t45363.html) and I'm still working on getting my deep end crystal clear. Still waiting for my fancy test kit to arrive, but my most recent test results are posted below. Any ideas on how to clear up my deep end? I hope I'm not being too much of a perfectionist lol!

Water: Blue, totally clear in all shallow areas, deep end not cloudy, but not clear either..

Test (from yesterday)

FAC: 3

TAC: 5 (added 5lbs of non-chlorine shock yesterday after this test)

pH: 7.4

TA: 120

CYA: 40

Calcium Hardness: 450 (should I be worried about this being high?)

TDS: 1050

Phos: 500

Thanks guys! Any help would be great, I'm really looking forward to starting the BBB method right away! :)

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend in their pools!

FC of 3 and TC of 5 means you have a CC of 2, which shows the need to shock the pool. Use bleach to shock, no need for the chlorine free shock.

Regarding your hardness, there are some on here that have to live with high CH. You have to keep a close eye on your pH levels to avoid scaling.

Are you familiar with the How to Shock Your Pool section in Pool School?

Hi RobbieH,

Yes, I read all the FAQ's and Info sections this morning - I know now that there was no need to buy the chlorine free shock :)

The results I just posted are before a full day of swimming yesterday ( 7 adults) so I realize that I should re-post more accurate results to get better advice. I also didn't mention that there's a slight white residue on the pool walls and floor, could this be from calcium, or just from a lack of me brushing the pool?

I only ever saw white residue when my pH was off. Made the calcium ring my tile. Your pH looks good, but with CH that high, you are on a fine line. Hold up until someone with experience with high CH can chime in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.