Installing a cartride filter - need help with plumbing

May 29, 2012
Hi,

I am going to be installing a new Hayward C4030 cartidge filter. Some questions. Since I need to be able to drain the pool, I will be adding a waste line/valve just before the filter inlet. Would I use a 2 or 3 way valve for this? Second question, I am thinking that I should put in a recirculate line to bypass the filter for those times that I want to shock the pool and keep live algae from entering the filter. Does this make sense? Is this usual for a cartridge filter system? If a good idea, can someone give me the basics on how to plumb this? Last question, if I want these 2 functions, would it be cleaner/simpler to just add a standard multiport valve and not use the backwash and rinse functions (I know this would destroy the filter). The inlet and outlets are the same as a DE filter so I could potentially use a DE multiport. Or, would adding the this valve add unwanted backpressure that would not help with system efficiency? Appreciate any advice you can give me.

Welcome to TFP.

I would plumb the waste line with a 3-way valve. That way it's only one valve to operate to pump to waste. I wouldn't think a bypass would be needed enough to warrant putting it in.

If you maintain your pool following the instructions found here you'll never have algae so you'll never need to bypass the filter. :-D

Thanks Dave. I hear ya but every summer the water is green soup when I open the pool. I would rather shock and recirculate.....then vacuum to waste to avoid running through the filter. Any ideas on the plumbing side would be appreciated. Thx again.

Easiest would be 2 3-way valves and a check valve.
The first 3-way selecting between pool (recirculate) & filter/waste
The second 3-way selecting between filter & waste
The check valve between the filter exit and where you tie the re-circulation back in to the return.

OR

The first 3-way selecting between pool (recirculate)/waste & filter
The second 3-way selecting between pool return & waste
The check valve between the filter exit and where you tie the re-circulation back in to the return.

Second option would allow you to only move 1 valve to switch between recirculate and waste if you were clearing a pool.

Been thinking about this and going to use the multiport and somehow block off the notch for the backwash function......to prevent someone from accidently using it. Thanks for everyones help.

ram0115 said:
Been thinking about this and going to use the multiport and somehow block off the notch for the backwash function......to prevent someone from accidently using it. Thanks for everyones help.

I am not sure that is possible. The problem is you do not want to let the water enter the insides of the cartridge. That diverter is inside the valve. I am not sure how you could prevent someone from rotating that valve to that orientation.

I suppose one option would be to fill in the grove for backwash. This would prevent the handle for seating properly and may reduce the amount of water trying to flow into the cartridge ... but no guarantee that is enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.