Can you run 1.5HP pump with 1HP impeller?

May 25, 2012
Will anything bad happen running a 1.0hp impeller on a 1.5hp motor? Will this indeed slow the flow?

I had to replace the original 1.0hp motor this year and after some research thought a 1.5hp would be better. It was suggested here that the 1.5hp would have several cons and really no pros verse running the same as original 1.0hp. It's a 25K gal IG with 1.5" piping and Hayward S240 sand filter.

I talked to the vendor about an exchange of my 1.5hp to a 1.0 and his suggestion was to run the 1.0hp impeller which would slow the flow. And, in doing so the motor would actually not be working as hard.

My main concern is filter effectiveness. I've been running the pump 24/7 for the last several years (summers only) and will have a timer installed this year. I think even if the 1.5 does use a little more electricity, running less than half the time will net a reduction in costs.

It shouldn't be difficult to do on any pump unless you can't remove the wet end because of rusted screws. But even that can be solved with a little extra work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.