Issues with new Intex sand filter

May 29, 2012
Hi all - I have a 15 ft x 48 inch Intex pool. Last year we had a lot of trouble with the paper filters and cheap underpowered pump so I just bought and installed the big, 2600 GPH Intex sand filter, which I got hooked up yesterday. I also run the separate Intex saltwater system.

I have no pool cover (have read the Intex ones don't work well). I filled up the pool yesterday. As soon as it got filled, my neighbor, who's a nice guy but whose yard is all dirt and weeds, decides to mow. My pool now has a lot of dirt and small debris in it. I ran my new sand filter pump for 24 hours after adding my 110 pounds of salt per the instructions. There's still a log of dirt in the pool. If this sand filter is so great, why didn't it filter out all of the dirt....especially after running for 24 hours?!

I did the backwash and then the rinse cycles before running the filter cycle for 24 hours total. I have not turned on my saltwater system yet, but it's job is not to filter out dirt.

We had a lot of issues last year with low flow, dirty or unbalanced water, skimming constantly, etc. I really want this summer to be easier and the pool to be a pleasure, not a pain!
Any thoughts on my sand filter and why I still have dirt in my pool?
Thanks for any advice!

Robbie, thx for the reply. Dirt is on top of the water, suspended in the water, and on the bottom. The pump seems to be working and definitely is spitting water much more forcefully back into the pool vs our old pump (hopefully solving low flow issues) but I thought this filter would clean the water much better too.why the dirt isn't filtering out is a mystery....

What does your gauge say when its pumping? Did you do the backwash rinse in the beginning? I live in AZ with dust and dirt everywhere and the 2650 sand filter does wonders on my pool. I'm just having to vaccuum it once a week. Did you buy number 20 sand? For comparison my pool specs are below. I had small(smaller then dust) particles in my pool after I switched to sand filter, I just hooked my old cartridge pump in the middle, with no pressure drop(more than I already have). Cleared up in a day. I then took the filter out of it, until I need it again.so my setup looks like this:
inlet->sandfilter pump->cart filter pump->salt chlorinator-> outlet.

If you are not using 20 sand or zeo, the sand won't catch much.

Yeah, that's the other thing. I didn't say anything because I'm not directly familiar with that filter, but most sand filters need to be backflushed for several minutes before ever being put into filter mode. You are probably going to have to vacuum or use a floor cleaner to get the stuff off the bottom. Adding a little DE to the filter might be helpful, just add enough to the skimmer to raise the pressure by 1 PSI. No more!

I have the Sand Filter & Saltwater system model #20110, ph, alkalinity and chlorine all good. Added salt all good too. Manual said to boost for initial set up. I set my timer for 6 hours so it would run for 12 and then went to hit the boost and nothing happens. Why?? Do I even need to boost with it being brand new water and chlorine levels good? I did shock it to get my chlorine up.

If you're sure your filter is not putting filter sand in your pool, then add some DE or cellulose to your skimmer basket, which will send it to your filter. You only need to add enough to raise the filter pressure 1psi above the clean pressure. Sand filters can only do so much. DE and cellulose help the filter retain finer particles. Search the forum, the exact details are here.

I set my timer for 6 hours so it would run for 12 and then went to hit the boost and nothing happens. Why?? Do I even need to boost with it being brand new water and chlorine levels good? I did shock it to get my chlorine up.

You don't need to boost, but if you want to, you have to hold the button down for a few seconds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.