The Green Monster is back!

NCSalt

Apr 26, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hi All,
The season has begun...pool looked amazing two days ago and levels were good. Had some metal stains all around bottom and edge of pool. Got absorbic acid and metal out with the result of a sparkling looking liner and water.
Heater was on and pool was at 85 degrees. Added CoverFree (I wanted to know if it works to keep more of the heat in).

Also have the metal catcher pouch in one skimmer (forgot what it is called)

Waited 24 hours, checked levels, Chlorine had dropped to below 1 and ph was at 7.2. Turned on super chlorinator. Next day pool is green.

Now, I am a bit clue less as to why the pool turned green. Levels today
FC way above 8. (drop test, stopped after adding 15 drops)
Could not test for TC because of high levels
PH 7.5
Salt is at 2800 ppm
Alkalinity 60
CAY (unable to test because I'm out of chems for that)

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Cheerio, NC Salt

It is the bright green color and the clarity of the water (it appears clear to me from what I can tell). It's a dead giveaway. That's why I asked for a pic. :) It didn't hurt that he mentioned he'd had metals issues before, either. Algae is darker and makes the water murky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Gang:

I had added the sequestrant and voila the pool became sparkling blue again. But. oops wait...I woke up this morning with a green pool again :rant:

Well, so I dragged my behind to the pool supply store in order to get my water tested (out of CYA stuff so I could not test that myself, big mistake to run out of that)

Here are the results:
FC: 0
TC: 0
ph: 7.8
Alkalinity: 80
CYA: 0
Calcium 40
Salt: 3000

OK....I've decided not to do quick fix "metal free" again but to go with the more "got to have patience" route.

Pool filter is running -
AquaRite Salt Chlorinator off.

Step one:
Added 38 pounds of "Hardness Plus" - going to wait until about tomorrow afternoon to continue on to step two.
Step two:
Add Algae Control (since I am not going to raise the Chlorine at this point) - wait for 24 hours
Step three:
Slowly raise Chlorine, not super-chlorination - than add Water Conditioner
Step four:
Hope for the best :lol:

I appreciate any input in case you guy's think I am making a mistake or going about this the wrong way. :wave:
Cheerio,
NCSalt

Rainy Days!

Hi TFP Friends:

I am asking my self if this rain is ever going to stop and what it is doing to do to my attempt of getting rid of the metals that have taken over our pool.

Had metal stains, got them out with absorbic acid, added metal free and voila....stain free and pretty blue...two days later, green! Added metal free again, next day, voila sparkling pool...woke up today...arghhhhhhhhh green again! see my post under green monster for details!

Just tested again (east coast 9:30 pm):
FC: 0
TC: 0
PH: 7.8
Calcium: 220
CYA: 0
Alk: 80
Salt: 3000
Temp: 82 F

I am just curious of what the heavy rains may do to our pool's metal content. I am apparently having a hard time getting rid of the metals. Has anyone had a similar metal problem? :hammer:

Thanks,
NC Salt

The rain will reduce the metal level slightly, which is good. It will probably also drive the PH up a little, which is bad, but hopefully not by too much.

You should use a better quality sequestrant. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

You will also have far less trouble with green water if your raise your CYA level to normal levels.

Thanks Jason, and thanks for moving the post. Raising the CYA is step three on my list. Since I raised the calcium levels the pool is slightly less green. I'm going to leave chlorine at 0 for now until all the green has disappeared. At that point I will raise it and raise the CYA.

It's a time thingy and I am being very good in not rushing things since the quick fix obviously did not work. I will keep you all posted. Thanks.

Hi All!!!

It's been over a week and the pool was clear and blue until this morning. I held of on adding chlorine until last night. And voila this morning the pool had a slight green tint.

Let's recap:
Metal drama a few weeks back
Quick fix - worked temporary
Decided to actually work the problem out
Raised Calcium - check
Raised CYA - check (still needs more raising)
Added Alge preventer

Anyhow -
Yesterday evening
:
I added algea stuff yesterday evening since I saw slight algea growth (of course since there is no CH)
I brushed the pool and vacuumed (pool was slightly cloudy but blue)
Set the Aqua rite to super-chlorinate (I figured that I've waited for over a week for the metals to dissipate and I can now safely introduce CH)

This am:
Pool turned slightly green
Backwashed
Turned Vacuum back on
Outside temp>74
Pool temp>81 (heater was on over night)
Tested chems:
Ch> 0
Ph> 7.8
CYA>20
Salt>
Alkalinity>80
TC>drop test was inconclusive (turned slightly pink and after adding 6 drops I figured it's not worth it to waste chems)

I am going to check the pool calculator next in order to:
Lower Ph to 7.4
Raise CH to 1pmm
Raise CYA to 40

Note: I also have the Culator Metal Remover in my skimmer for almost 2 weeks now), it seems to draw the metals out (it's turned color from white to brownish/yellow)

Any suggestions?
Thanks, NCSalt!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.