Camcorder suggestions...

i like my sony. my wife got me a new one for christmas i got the Sony HDR-FX1 High def camera. works awsome and incredible quality picture and sound. even on an old crt tv.

Rollin Thunder said:
i like my sony. my wife got me a new one for christmas i got the Sony HDR-FX1 High def camera. works awsome and incredible quality picture and sound. even on an old crt tv.

Mine is a Sony Mini-DV. I don't dislike it, it just does not have features that I'm now realizing we need.

RT, that one looks awsome, although a little large. :shock: It reminds me of the old full size VHS camcorders - looked like you were carrying a VCR on your shoulder. :lol: j/k

Actually, I don't want to spend that much. I think I'd rather look for better features in a standard def model, maybe sub $1k.

SeanB said:
Rollin Thunder said:

Mine is a Sony Mini-DV. I don't dislike it, it just does not have features that I'm now realizing we need.

RT, that one looks awsome, although a little large. :shock: It reminds me of the old full size VHS camcorders - looked like you were carrying a VCR on your shoulder. :lol: j/k

Actually, I don't want to spend that much. I think I'd rather look for better features in a standard def model, maybe sub $1k.

sony still has some nice ons for under 800 even HD. it is large, larger than most like, but i like it as im a camera man as a hobby.

After a little research, I'm leaning toward the Panasonic PV-GS500. It's a 3 CCD model, with a mic input, although it may be worth the time to check out the HD models as well. Most of my use will be standard def, so I want to make sure I'm not going to have any compatability / conversion issues.

SeanB said:
After a little research, I'm leaning toward the Panasonic PV-GS500. It's a 3 CCD model, with a mic input, although it may be worth the time to check out the HD models as well. Most of my use will be standard def, so I want to make sure I'm not going to have any compatability / conversion issues.

we upgraded our house starting in 2005 one by one, as our CRT tvs started going out to lcd or plasma. so all of our rooms are HD now, but it took 3 years, but that was the most economical way to do it.

panasonic has great products. it just their customer service people are always rude and have no idea what their talking about. thats why i will never buy a panasonic product again.

I've got a Panasonic PV-GS200 and I love it. I bought it about 4 years ago and it still works great. The camera has manual picture controls that I mainly use to lock the exposure on my subjects so the camera does not adjust to a bright background, if I'm on the move. I have a Azden SGM-X external mic since I really didn't care for the built in one and it picked up motor noise. I did have to buy a separate shock mount since I could still hear motor noise with the standard SGM-X mount. The mic fits just perfectly on the top of the camera, another inch and the mic is visible in the picture. I have just enough room to slip on the wind cover if outdoors. Of course, using an external mic comes with the risk of the battery dying and not getting any audio at all, so I usually plug the headphones into the camera when I start shooting and put them back in the bag when I've confirmed that it is working.

I like tapes over the other types of cameras just for the simple fact that A. you are saving uncompressed video and B. you have an immediate copy for archiving. The DVD and hard disk models can't claim that, although they do have their benefits.

As for HD, back when I bought my camera I didn't even consider it. Now, I'd probably look, but considering the space requirements, my lack of a HD dvd player, HD dvd or BR burner, I'd say I'd have to pass. Maybe in a few more years.

Gary

besides a type of camera I'd 110% recommend www.bhphotovideo.com for your purchase!

Through different jobs I've spent well over $40,000 with them and never had any problems, had to return stuff and always got what I wanted, they are fantastic! + sometimes you can get 'open box deals' that are awesome...I got the Cannon HD10 for $450! (no mic input but I'm using multi cameras for my stuff and don't record sound on that one).

The Panasonic one you spoke of is a good one, I've used it for pro jobs, never had a customer complaint.

And I agree with Gary, tape is the only way to go!

-Thomas

Thanks Thomas. I've used B&H before and they were great. I have a few online electronics retailers that I trus so I shop price just among those few. I don't mess with the rest as it's too easy to get ripped off or find that there is no customer service after the sale.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the one i had before was awsome too. had tape or SD card. standard def. nice sound and a great picture as well. cost about 400 from sony. i will do some searching for the code as i dont own it anymore.

I asked my husband about the camcorder we hve. I use it but I don't pay attention to technical details (like brand). Here's what he said:

"Canon ZR45 I think. It is many years old now. I picked it because
a) itwas <$700 (so, affordable),
b) had a really long zoom (20x I think),
c)had a slightly warmer colour than the Sony versions,
d) had the analog <-> digital features that were necessary (many newer cameras are not as capable at the same price point),
e) was big enough for my hand. "

He forgot to mention that it records to little tapes which was a critical archiving consideration for us.

AnnaK

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.