No sign of FC....

May 29, 2012
18.46 gallons of 6% bleach and no sign of FC.

Here are the rough details:

~14600 gallon AG pool.
~81 degree water.
Hardness 400.
CYA < 30 (working on it)
FC = 0
CC = unknown
Ph = 7.2
Alk = 80
Sand filter
1hp pump
Two inlets (skimmer and bottom feeder. 50/50 right now.)
Two returns.

Direct sun about 11:00am on.
90 degrees high during day.

Had algae Friday. Very noticable, green water, green walls. Put 5 bags of HTH Super shock and swim in over the course of the day and some of Saturday before I decided to stop being an idiot and do my homework and found BBB and the troublefreepool website. Ordered the $75 pool test kit off of Amazon suggested here (not the tf100, the other one.) It comes in some time this week. Using the 6 tests strips from walmart till then.

Since Saturday evening I have been testing the water every hour (except sleep time) and adding 1.42 gallons of 6% bleach trying to get to 6ppm FC. Yet every hour I test it says 0 FC. The test strips are good, I have tested in straight bleach, they do respond to the FC.

Finally this evening I got fed up and dumped 5.68 gallons of bleach in all at once (2 min pour time each in front of return.) Hour later did another test, 0 FC. But my Ph dropped so I added 72 oz of Borax (all I had). Been 2x 1.46 gallons since then and still 0 FC.

Could the FC still be getting eaten up by some left over algae from Friday? I can't get more accurate measurments till my test kit comes in. Should I keep dosing and testing till I reach 6 ppm or my test comes in or should I hold off or shock it with the 7.1 gallons I have left before I have to hit up the store again for more bleach?

Pictures are from before I started BBB. Water has no hint green now. Normal blue now but very hazzy. Can't see bottom.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338267387594.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338267387594.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 120
  • uploadfromtaptalk1338267659076.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338267659076.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 120
  • uploadfromtaptalk1338267694071.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338267694071.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 120
I would suggest waiting for your test kit. Maybe put 1 bottle of bleach in each evening till the kit comes in and you can test accurately.

In the meantime, read Pool School a few times particularly how to correctly shock your pool. Ask questions if something does nit make sense and you will be ready to hit it hard when the kit shows up.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Welcome to tfp, dadicus :wave:

jbliz beat me, but here are my 2 cents:

More bleach is what the pool needs. It is great that you have already ordered a good kit...I hope it comes soon.

As you have probably read, the strips can be downright misleading.
dadicus said:
The test strips are good, I have tested in straight bleach, they do respond to the FC.
Did you dilute it down below 10 ppm? If not those strips would still be suspect, and I still wouldn't trust them.

Without a good kit, you are flying a little blind, my guess is that a titration would show some FC and CC indicating that your bleach is doing something. For now you might want to back off putting in so much bleach and maybe only put a gallon in the evening each day. Then when you kit comes you can make hay :)

Are you sure this is algae and not metals in the water? Can you describe how it came on? Since we don't have good test information yet, you can at least give us a history of what has been going on and how the water looked.

Ike

Still waiting on my test kit. Should be here tomorrow I think. I have another question. I bought this house in Feburary and the pool came with it. I am not 100% certain but I think the pool is only 1-2 years old. I was wondering about the sand in the pool filter. Do you all think I should check and maybe replace the sand?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 with Tapatalk.

In general sand rarely needs to be changed within the lifetime of the filter housing, sometimes you may need to open the top and remove the top layer of gunk and resettle the sand though.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.