Pump pressure goes up very quickly even after backwashing

May 28, 2012
I'm a new owner of an in-ground pool and have only basic experience with an above ground pool, and I have an issue with my in-ground pool pump pressure.

While running, the pressure will be about 20PSI but when I turn the pump off for 2-3 seconds and back on the pressure drops to about 10PSI, but after 10-15mins the pressure is back up to 20PSI.

I've tried several backwash attempts. I switched from a 300LB sand filter to DE filter, no difference. I connected a hose from the filter outlet directly to the pool by-passing the pool piping. Still no difference. When I view through the clear plastic lid on the pump filter I can see the water flowing but that area isn't full of water when the pressure is high, but if I turn it off and back on it gets full and the pressure is low. So it appears the pressure goes up when less water is flowing, but I'm not sure why that would happen.

The pool is 20x40, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Pump pressure goes up very quickly even after backwashin

Bama Rambler said:
What does the water look like?

If you have algae it will do exactly what you're describing.

I have been fighting the algae for 7-8 days now, I finally got the water cleared up and can see the bottom. There is a brownish/greenish hazy cloudy stuff right on the bottom that I've been trying to get vacuumed up but as soon as I get near it it disperses. Is this algae or some some mucky dirty water? Should I just keep vacuuming it and then backwash it again?

Here is what it looks like:
[attachment=0:104c8j08]3.jpg[/attachment:104c8j08]

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 323

Once you get all the algae killed things will start getting better.

You have been recharging the DE filter with DE after backwashing haven't you?

On a diifferent but related note. Are you holding the FC at shock level for your CYA as often as once an hour? If not you need to be. Also, if you'll post a full set of test results and how you got them, we'll help you get rid of the algea. remember, shock is a process not some product you buy.

What all have you put in the pool?
What product are you using to maintain shock level in the pool?

Bama Rambler said:
Once you get all the algea killed things will start getting better.

You have been recharging the DE filter with DE after backwashing haven't you?

On a diifferent but related note. Are you holding the FC at shock level for your CYA as often as once an hour? If not you need to be. Also, if you'll post a full set of test results and how you got them, we'll help you get rid of the algea. remember, shock is a process not some product you buy.

What all have you put in the pool?
What product are you using to maintain shock level in the pool?

I followed this process to kill off the algae -> turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

It worked really well, it took A LOT of chlorine (9 gallons of bleach and lots and lots of chlorine granules) to get FC to shock level and I've been pretty diligent at keeping it up high, it did slip into the mid level when I checked it one morning, but I've been keeping it really high while working on killing the algae. I've also used a bottle and half of the algaside chemical as well.

I always replaced the DE after each back-washing. Unfortunately I had to take the DE filter apart after each back-washing to clean it really well, which is a real pain in the neck. Shaking the handle like the instructions on the DE filter does not shake off all the junk.

It used to look like this:
[attachment=1:1dstls7i]IMG_2392.JPG[/attachment:1dstls7i]

This is what the DE filter looks like after the pressure hits 20 PSI:
[attachment=0:1dstls7i]IMG_2407.JPG[/attachment:1dstls7i]

Attachments

• IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 323

You followed the right plan! :goodjob:

What were those chlorine 'granules'?
Did you raise the shock level as you added them if they were Dichlor or Trichlor?
What algaecide did you use?

That's an awfully small filter for that size pool. I'd consider going back to the 300# sand filter if I were you.

Bama Rambler said:
You followed the right plan! :goodjob:

What were those chlorine 'granules'?
Did you raise the shock level as you added them if they were Dichlor or Trichlor?
What algaecide did you use?

That's an awfully small filter for that size pool. I'd consider going back to the 300# sand filter if I were you.

I switched back to my 300# sand filter after the laborious chore of cleaning the DE filter so frequently. Today I just vacuumed the remaining crude on the bottom straight out on the waste setting, then put the automatic pool cleaner (Kreepy Krauly) back in to get the smaller stuff, and it ran for about 3 hours before the pressure was at 22 PSI and I back-washed it again.

Here are the pictures of the chemicals I'm using. I don't see Dichlor or Trichlor on ingredients list.
[attachment=1:c0sjy1hz]IMG_2438.JPG[/attachment:c0sjy1hz]
[attachment=1:c0sjy1hz]IMG_2439.JPG[/attachment:c0sjy1hz]

Attachments

• IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 283

What test kit do you have?

At least you used polyquat 60. You should have used that money buying bleach but that's water in the skimmer now. :mrgreen:
You didn't hurt anything by adding it and it may help a little.

I can't say that for the Cal-hypo. It is raising your CH each time you add it and I noticed it's only 48% so it's not even the good stuff.

I'd stick to bleach from now on until you get it clear.
Can you post a full set of test results?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Bama Rambler said:
What test kit do you have?

At least you used polyquat 60. You should have used that money buying bleach but that's water in the skimmer now. :mrgreen:
You didn't hurt anything by adding it and it may help a little.

I can't say that for the Cal-hypo. It is raising your CH each time you add it and I noticed it's only 48% so it's not even the good stuff.

I'd stick to bleach from now on until you get it clear.
Can you post a full set of test results?

I'm using AquaCheck Select test strips from Leslie's Pool Supply. I found out that the old strips don't work right, fresh strips are important. :)

Here is the test result from this morning.
[attachment=0:33p6sd1v]IMG_2440.JPG[/attachment:33p6sd1v]

Attachments

• IMG_2440.JPG
    IMG_2440.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 262

Throw those strips away and do yourself a favor and get a good drop based test kit. You'll wonder why you waited so long once you do. You'll also realize just how bad those strips really are.

Bama Rambler said:
Throw those strips away and do yourself a favor and get a good drop based test kit. You'll wonder why you waited so long once you do. You'll also realize just how bad those strips really are.

I found the TroubleFreePool.com recommended test kit on tftestkits.net and just ordered the Taylor K-2006. I'm hoping this works better.

In the meantime I've been manually vacuuming the crude on the bottom using the 'waste' setting so it doesn't go into the filter. I keep brushing the sides and floor into one side of the pool and let it settle and vacuum it out, seems to be working but it's tedious. Still a bit cloudy though, so I just added some clarity stuff that is supposed to help with the cloudiness.

Bama Rambler said:
Vacuuming to waste is a good idea.

Let me know how the clarifier works and what the brand is. I'm keeping a log of them and which ones work.

I used a product by Leslie's Pool Supply called "Ultra Bright". It seemed to do the job, the kids played in the pool today for the first time!
[attachment=0:21ji30mc]IMG_2459.JPG[/attachment:21ji30mc]

Attachments

• IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2459.JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 235

Bama Rambler said:
That's on the list as one that works. I'll add you to the list.

Where is this list you are referring to? Before I buy anything else it would be great to know what works and doesn't. Thanks.

It's a personal list that I'm keeping as people report that they used clarifier or floc. It's not posted anywhere as there's not enough data to form a concensus of what works and what doesn't. That's just on the list two or three times and it's been reported to work. It'll probably take another year or two before I'm sure enough of the results to report it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.