Borates next?

ultra800_96

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2009
Pomeroy, Iowa
So, my pool has been up & running, after my citric acid stain treatment the chlorine took quite a bit of tending to, to finally hold so the SWCG can take over, what's next?

Been thinking of adding borates. No necessary reasons, just would like to try it out. Here in Iowa, usually open in May till mid Sept then it's close time again. I've read alot about it on this site, & really thinking of trying them. Since adding the SWCG, I've gotten lots of comments on how nice the water feels. The pool is in a sweet spot right now although I would need to drop TA first before adding them. I fight high TA fill water, so I I've always thought whats the use, but it still has me intrigued. I have to drain at least 1/4 on close so would it be worth it?

FC 4 CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 180
CH 360
CYA 60 (added more to get to 70 today)
Salt 3200

Whats your opinions?

No need to drain to reduce TA! Use muriatic acid to drop the TA (pH will drop too) and aerate the water to bring the pH back up. Get the TA where you want it first, then use the pool calculator to determine how much borax you will need for your pool.

yep, gotcha zea.
I've done that procedure in the past, I've had my TA down well within range, only to have it rise back up from the fill water. It's a never ending battle keeping it down, although it's never caused problems. Last year adding the SWCG, I finally gave up trying to purposely lower it & things still ran smoothly. Just added acid when I needed to. I only drain when it comes time to winterize. It freezes solid here in Iowa, so I have to do a partial drain. So if I do drop it (with Muratic & aerate) in order to add Borates, will it be for nothing next spring with the new fill? Maybe not, as I have to replenish CYA also with the partial drain, I'd just have to add partial borates. I'm just intrigued with the idea of borates, & would like to try it. By the way, thought of a new idea (to me) to aerate. I just bought a new soaker hose for the garden. First, I'm going to attach a quick coupler & sink only the hose part into the water & hook it up to my small air compresser with a regulator. Should get some nice air bubbles with it.

Thanks for the response.
Dave B.

Sorry, I missed the part about draining to close and thought you were draining to lower TA. It sounds like you understand the process of adding borates. When you refill to open next spring how much borax you would need would depend on how much you lost over the season (splash-out and rain over flow) in addition to how much you drained on closing. If you decide to give borates a try, go ahead and order the borate test strips and check the level once a month until closing. That will give you a rough idea of how much you loose over a typical season.

The aerator idea sounds interesting. Be sure and post some pictures of it in action.

No problem, & Yep, I'll do that. I just ordered some refills from Dave S. on Friday & maybe can have them included in the same shipment as well. I'm ready to give borates a try. Kinda excited, actually. Like I said, nothing necessary, & everything is "swimmingly", I'd just like to try them out.

Also, thanks for the statement about the knowledge on adding borates. I've read & reread. Would it be advisable to to maybe 1/2 or 3/4 way than all the way the first time adding?

Since finding this site, it's always fun & exciting trying out new ideas I haven't done with my pool (safely of course).

ultra800_96 said:
Also, thanks for the statement about the knowledge on adding borates. I've read & reread. Would it be advisable to to maybe 1/2 or 3/4 way than all the way the first time adding?
You need to get up close to the 50 ppm for the algaestatic functionality. If you know you pool I would just go right up to there...but it doesn't hurt anything to do it over time. If you do overshoot a little, it is not a big deal.

I found using boric acid was about the same price as borax/MA and was a lot easier. My ph has been very stable since adding (I have a swg).

ultra800_96 said:
Good to know. Thanks both! I'll get pics of my redneck soaker hose aerator in action, get my TA down & get with the action.
Sounds like a great method!

ultra800_96 said:
Now I just gotta find a place to buy the boric around this little "one horse town" lol.
55 lb bucket, should do your pool to 50 ppm with plenty for topoffs in future years for $75 plus shipping (maybe $30 for me?)http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=boric55

DSC00483.jpg

Can anyone say "Aeration"? :whoot:

I have my boric acid on the way from Duda Dsl. Now working on lowering the TA. Seems to work very well. I adjusted my small compressor to shut off at about 60 lbs & kick on about 30 PSI and fine tune at the hose end with an air regulator. This seems to give the best, consistent amount of bubbles. It takes about 2 minutes of compressor running, and 8 minutes shutoff time, so doesn't seem too taxing on the compressor. I must have overshot the Muratic addition. It stayed on 6.8 that I was trying to get to initially, thinking in a couple hours the PH would be right back up. Not! I'll go less aggresive on my subsequent additions to see where it ends up. Before adding the boric acid, the TA should be in the 70 range? How far should I take it?
Thanks
Dave

TA currently is at 140, down from 160 from the first addition.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ideally, you want to inject those bubbles as deep as possible, so in the deep end of the pool or at the bottom of the pool where you have this, so that they have a lot of contact time with the pool water before eventually getting to the surface. That will have them get the most carbon dioxide diffusing into them from the pool water. Great job! Tiny bubbles, In the wine, Make me feel happy, Make me feel fine...

Aargh! Just checked TA. Topped off water last night about an inch or so. TA back at 180. This is what I've always fought trying to lower TA. Thought maybe topping off with the softner water wouldn't add back so much TA, unless I did an error in the test. I actually wiped the tip of the dropper with a damp cloth a few times when adding the R009. Ill test again tomorrow nite.

Wrong! Must have been a testing error. This morning TA tests at 130. Also tested my Softened water for TA & CH. TA=460, so softener does nothing for that. However, CH test goes right to blue when adding R011, no pink at all, so it does do something for the CH. Couldn't hardly believe it, so I tested the pool water. 360 just like it had been.

:party: My TA is 80!!

6 days pretty much non-stop acid & aeration, I believe I made it. 4 gallons of Muratic. Maybe one more acid dose this evening depending on PH reading. Sounds backwards, but the PH seems to bounce back faster now the lower the TA fell (from 6.8 - 7.2). Maybe it's my imagination..

My old, small compressor really got a workout but it made it through. My son thinks I'm nuts.

Should I aerate back to the mid 7's before adding the boric acid or let it sit on around 7.0 & let it rise naturally with the SWG?

One more, although I probably already know the answer..will my high TA fill water push the TA back higher at the same rate, or will the borates tend to buffer the TA also?

Thanks,
Dave B

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.