copper and green hair

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
How do I test for copper only? My daughter has super blonde, almost white hair and the ends are turning green. We have been swimming consistently since March and this hair thing has evolved over time. Everything I've read points to copper. However, we filled our pool with pond water and then shocked the Crud (literally) out of it. I have the TF-100 test kit but it looks like it mainly tests for Calcium Hardness. I just did that test and the number came to 120. We have a vinyl liner. I am confused because the directions say to add two drops of R-0012 if water contains copper. Don't know if I do, but I would love to find out if I even have copper.

Hey,

A pool store should be able to test for copper for you and that test is pretty dependable...even the pool stores get it right.

If you want to test more than once, Taylor makes (and I stock it) for about $20.00. I sell very few of them because most fo;ks only want to test once.

I can't figure out how you got copper but Green hair is a surefire indicator.

It typically doesn't come from wells or ponds. Do you have a heater with a copper core? Ever added quite a dose of algaecide that has copper?

Hmmmm, I did put in polyquat (as per pool school). When I purchased it, the pool store was not sure what polyquat was and gave sold me a bottle that read

60% poly[oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylenedichloride]
40% other

If this has copper in it, I am going to be :grrrr: at myself because I have been so diligent.

On a positive note, we put in less than the recommended amount.

If i did put in copper, what do i do now?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

YES! I'm going over to murder my neighbor right now :grrrr: :grrrr: :grrrr: Can't blame a good neighbor for trying to control the weeds and make things look pretty. We choice copper water over iron water. was it a good choice? Now what? :grrrr:

P.S. you are so smart and so insightful. We didn't even think of that.

Kill your neighbor for messing up the pool!! He must die!

Have a store test for copper. I'm not sure if sequestrant will work, or if only fresh fill water will work. Either way, as long as it doesn't mess up the liner you're fine. Kids love green hair!

your post made me LOL! Totally my humor style! Luckily my daughter only has one green streak down the back of her hair. She is six so she can not yet adequately manipulate the mirror to see it. I will test copper amount and report back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went to the pool store to get my water tested for copper. Went to two pool stores because I'm so skeptical of them now. NO COPPER!!! Can I get a :whoot: :whoot: I'm gonna run with this and stop over obsessing about it. The super blonde is the only one with the green streak. Who knows where she got it. I will just hope it fades naturally.

8corneflakes said:
I went to the pool store to get my water tested for copper. Went to two pool stores because I'm so skeptical of them now. NO COPPER!!!
Can I get a :whoot: :whoot: I'm gonna run with this and stop over obsessing about it.
No copper?! :whoot: :whoot:

The super blonde is the only one with the green streak. Who knows where she got it. I will just hope it fades naturally.
Well, one of our grands had a hair-tip-dippin' party with green kool-aid last year. Just sayin' - maybe it ain't copper :shock: :mrgreen:

My pool also tests as having no copper but my blonde daughter gets a green tint over time because of swimming.

I've convinced myself that even though the test show no copper, there must just be a small enough amount in there to turn her green over time. We use the children's swimmers shampoo and it helps. My wife will also occasionally take her to get a 'Malibu' treatment at the hair salon and that gets the green right out.

I have not tried this yet, but I was talking to a Leslie pool employee awhile ago and he mentioned a newer product that they have that is supposed to remove metals including copper. It's called 'CuLator'. I have no idea if it works, but it looks interesting.

The CuLator does at least partly work, but so far in a very limit number of trials no one has had complete success with it.

There can be copper in the water and still get a copper result of zero. The copper tests aren't perfect, the pool store employees aren't perfect at performing the test, and often they use the high range test which will read levels just barely high enough to cause green hair as zero.

JasonLion said:
The copper tests aren't perfect, the pool store employees aren't perfect at performing the test

This is a related note and pretty funny!

I took my water samples to two pool stores today because I am so skeptical of them now. The first one said I had a salt reading of 610 ppm. The second one said level was 1500 ppm.

Below is the dialog at store #1

me: I would like for you to please test this water for cooper and salt.
her: sure!

I waited 15 minutes while she talked on the phone and told a customer that copper makes chorine not work at all in a pool and it was a waste of time and money to add any more chlorine when there is copper in the water.

her: no copper in MY water!

I waited a bit longer for the salt results to come back. While I did this, I witnessed a complaining customer who said that she dumped in the stuff they requested and it started to look better, but now it is cloudy and green again today. The pool store girl said, "you just have to keep adding more bags of shock. At the same time, another store girl was telling a man that he had high copper and suggested he use different pucks. I felt bad for everyone.

FINALLY, the girl came back with the salt info.

her: OMG, you need like a ton of salt
me: oh goodness, I don't care to know how much salt i need, just how much I have in the water now.
her: oh, I don't know how to test for that, the computer just tells me how much pounds for you to buy.
me: how about you figure out how to get my starting point and I'll handle the pound conversion
her: you can't do that. you won't know how
me: Then I looked at her computer paper and noticed that it said 610 ppm salt
her: oh, I never noticed that before.

I smiled and left
THANKS TFP!! You made my day!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.