Heat pump or gas heater??

G

Hello everyone, I have to make a decision to go with a Heat Pump or a Gas Heater?? I'm having an 18X36 inground installed. I'm located in Rockland County NY. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: HEAT PUMP OR GAS HEATER??

If you have natural gas, get the gas. In NY state, you won't extend the swim season at all with a heat pump, I'd that's what your after. A heat pump can be run cheaper than gas, but the performance of the gas heater will far surpase the heat pump.

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking in terms of saving the installation cost of a gas line for one, and perhaps cheaper to run the heat pump in the long run. OK so I will lean towards the gas unit. Thanks again.

I agree, gas is the way to go, especially if you are only going to use it intermittently - for the weekends, or for a party. The gas unit will bring the temp up much more quickly than a heat pump will.

For what it's worth, I avoided the expense of running a natural gas line, by installing my heater right next to my gas meter. I move the water about 40 feet from the pump to the heater and then back again to the pool. I don't lose much pressure and it made the project a DIY one. Your mileage may vary.

I don't agree on gas. I am in Morris County NJ so my experience should not be significantly different than yours. I have a 20 x 40 IG pool that I installed about 15 years ago. I went with a heat pump and have been very pleased. I do keep a solar cover on the pool when it is not in use, and that is important. IF you don't cover the pool you will have to add about five times the amount of heat to it. BTW, I open the pool the first week in April and close the middle of Oct.

About three years ago I added 80SqFt of solar mats that I pump a percentage of the pool pump output through. The are on the ground, not on a roof. They provide me enough heat that now I only run the heat pump to initially bring the temperature up at the start of the season, and then use after mid-sept.

How warm do you keep the pool? We like it around 84-85 and a heat pump wont cut it unless its June- august. If you like it 75, then ok. it's all relative to whats you like. I have a HP and a propane heater. If i had NG, I would scrap the HP all together.

Yea, and your a good deal south of me too. Here its 62 and overcast. If I had my heat pump on today, it might make 83 by days end. This morning the pool was 78. And yes, i have a cover. If i wanted to use it today, I can turn on my gas heat and have a nice warm pool in about 1.5 hours.
Doesnt really matter what you buy or dont buy, i'm just giving my expereince with one. Glad you like yours.

Valid points, but the OP is not far from me, so my experience should be much closer to theirs, that was the point. It is true a correctly sized heat pump will not raise the temperature as fast as a gas heater, but that is because gas heaters are sized much larger. My units is only 80,000 BTU/Hr for a 33,000 gallon pool. It will take it about 3 hours to raise the temperature of the pool by one degree. But with a heat pump you are much better off just maintaining the temperature rather than letting it drop way down and then trying to raise it quickly. If that is the way one wants to operate then they need to use gas or propane.

Thank you for all the replies!! I would like the savings of a Heat Pump and the quick heat times of a Gas heater. So, what is one to do.....?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Im in PA and have a heat pump, it takes longer to heat the pool (2 days from 65 to 85) but my pool gets all its heat from the heat pump, as we are surrounded by trees it gets no sun.
Mine maintains the temp at 85, never really drops below that, it also never seems to have much trouble keeping up.
I have never had a gas heater so I cant comment on those.
I would say if you are looking at something to maintain the heat then a heat pump may be best, if you want a quick ocasional heat up then a gas heater is the way to go.

gas heater, sure the gas line is just, if not more money to run then the heater itself - but, we love ours 400k - went from mid 70's, to mid 80's in no time~! 3 hours or so... = ) good luck~!

lungs414 said:
I am on my fifth season of a pool and just installed a heat siphon z700. Got the pool up to 85 in about four days I guess from 65 on opening. No solar cover yet probably will get one in september. The problem I had in september is the temp. would be 82 one day then rain would come and it would drop 12 degrees and never recover. I liked the heat pump for ease of install and also gas not available in my area.
So far so good, and very quiet.

That dosen't sound like a heat pump worked for you???

Bk406 I see you have the aquacomfort heat pump, I was considering that model but got talked into heat siphon, bigger and supposedly more reliable, but what do I know. It's not like going to buy a new car and considering power windows or not, at least I know what the salesman is talking about, you know what I mean. I had an aquacomfort Salt generator and it was great for five years. Then I needed a new cell and the price was almost as much as a new system, now I have a Jandy. I remember the pool builder said it was the best unit for colder temps, can produce heat in 40 degree weather is that true?

A heat pump generate heat at 40 degrees? Bwaahahaha!!! Yea right. The sales guy will tell you that but it'll never ever happen. Ok, maybe it might a little, but you'd never ever measure any change in water temp. You might as well spin the electric meter by hand and run your bill up that way.

Seriously, it won't heat much when the temp is below 60. If it's raining and 65, forget it as well. No matter what a salesmn says, any heat pump works about the same and as good. Mine works fine late may thru August. Basically, any time temps go below 65 or so, the btu output drops significantly. The problem we have up here is early and late in the season, it doesn't stay warm enough long enough during the day to do much. Even trying to add 5-6 degrees from say 7 am night take a lot of the day. By the time you get it up 6 degrees, it's almost dark. Even with a cover, I still lose 5-6 degrees a night in may and after the 3rd week of august into labor day. Honestly, if I had NG instead of propane, I'd neve had bought one. Since I have it, I use it and like it ok June - August, but the propane was a must for me to get use out of the pool on either end of the season.

I think something may be wrong with your heatpump. I used one to heat my house when I lived in Delaware and it worked fine till about 20 degree, then we had to use the gas backup. It all depends on where you set the balance point on the units. I know when it is really cold out my pool unit will periodically go into defrost mode, but then it resumes and keeps warming the pool.

Reactions: Theduck816

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.