Can I use a landscaping fountain pump for solar heat panels?

Mar 30, 2011
Clearwater, FL
I would like to set up a separate pump to pump water through the solar panels on my roof only when the sun is out. I have a temperature switch installed and working. I want to have my sand filter and SWG pump turn on by a schedule and not pump water through the solar panels when it's cool.

I have a landscaping pump someone gave me a few years back.
Aquascape model SFA3000 2900 GPH @ 5' head, 2.6 amp

It says right on the label: Thermally protected, this pump is not intended for use in a swimming pool.

I'm not using it for the filter, just the solar panels. Would this work? Or can someone explain why a pump made for treated stream water can't be used for treated pool water?

Re: Can I use a landscaping fountain pump for solar heat pan

Pool pumps have additional safety requirements, which that pump apparently does not met.

For solar panels on a roof you need a pump that can pump against a fair bit if dynamic head. That pump is rated at 2900 GPH @ 5' of head. The solar panels are going to be way more than 5' of head, which implies that this pump will not be at all appropriate.

You can have a separate pump, but it will probably have to be at least a 1/2 HP in-ground pool pump, more if your roof is higher than one story. Still, it is usually easier to get a solar controller and have it run a valve that controls if water goes to the panels or not and use your existing pool pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.